Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 02:25 PM

The worst weather we ever experienced was on Vision of the Seas during early October 1998 on "The Route of The Vikings" All I can say is "poor Vikings."

The route took us across the North Atlantic on the way from England to Boston. including two stops in Iceland. On four days on the cruise, the waves were at least 40 feet high, and each evening the captain would tell us to "take your pills." Our cabin was on deck four, and the waves hit above our window each night. Of course, the outer decks were closed and the chairs were all lashed together. During much of this time, the elevators were not working.

On our worst night, the seas were 55 feet and the winds were at 80 knots. The captain did his best to keep our ship headed into the waves. Vision is over 800 feet long, and when the bow went into the waves, the screw on the back would come completely out of the water. The blades would then stop moving until the stern crashed completely into the water. If you have been on a ship with a display of the weather on the TV, it normally shows little to medium waves and a description of the weather. On this night, the condition was not gale or strong gale, but the description said "phenomenal!"
If they had a description of "Oh my God," they would have probably used it.

On one of the 40 feet plus nights, a cabin four rooms down the corridor suffered the window breaking and water pouring in. There were two English ladies inside. One, the daughter managed to get out, but the mother was momentarily trapped inside. After a few minutes , crew members finally got inside an put some kind of giant patch over the window. The room was totally demolished and the rooms on each side suffered great damage. Amazingly, they were totally rebuilt and the carpet outside replaced within two days. The daughter suffered some slight injury from the mirror breaking.
Everyone advised the two ladies to not sign any papers until they had consulted an attorney.

Our captain, Lief Otto Bang did a wonderful job handling the ship in the bad weather. We had the honor of dining with him on a subsequent voyage and he told us that , while he had been sailing in various types of ships for over 40 years, this was the second worst weather he had ever experienced.

As a side note, Silver Cloud was also making its voyage through the same waters and remained in Reklavik, Iceland after we departed. We heard a rumor that a grand piano the the atrium area was turned upside down and thrown across the room among other major damage. Also, we heard that all the passenger were flown home from Iceland.

Neither my wife nor I got sick, and we were among the passengers making our way, crawling or otherwise, up and down the stairs. This was one of our most memorable cruises, and I loved it. In the event thant anyone reading this was on the same cruise, perhaps you can add to my description.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Paul, that sounds like quite a cruise! I've never experienced anything like that. I did cruise from New York to Bermuda during Hurricane Agnes back in 1989 (I think), but the captain did a good job of going around the storm as much as possible. Also, on another cruise to Bermuda a couple of years ago on Regent's Seven Seas Navigator, we had one afternoon of rough seas where a lot of things crashed in the dining room during lunch. It didn't feel all that bad while sitting at the table.

We have friends who cruised Queen Elizabeth 2 during a north Atlantic storm once, who described it pretty much the way you did. The elevator shaft filled with water, and during one particular roll, all the glassware fell off the shelves of one of the bars, and smashed. For the few people at dinner, the tablecloths were soaked in buckets of water before being put on the tables, so that the dishes could be pressed down into the cloths for some stability.

I'm not disappointed not to have been cruising with them.

Sandy
Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM

That's a great story! Glad I wasn't on that sailing but such memories of situations that bring lifes little problems into better perspective are always good to reflect on.

I had a flight in a small plane in Canada as a teenager to a remote location with a friend. The pilots only spoke french, I do not. We could hear the chatter as they talked to each other but didn't know what they were saying. When we got about an hour into the flight a small trickle of liquid that looked like water began running down the aisle between my friend and I. Right after we noticed it the pilot did as well. I then understood the only thing he said since we took off. He said "Uh Oh!" I knew what that meant but wished I didn't. All ended well and we landed safely. Don't know what it was but my heart rate quickened and I was glad to get back on the ground.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Hi that sounds really bad glad I was not on that cruise with you thought our cruise a couple of years back on ocean village were they had to close the pools and the upper decks for approx 5 days but nowhere has bad as your experience,glad it did not put you off cruising
Julie
Old 05-26-2008, 06:57 PM

When I first viewed the topic, I assumed it was going to be about the cruise where you experienced the worst hangover. It's hard to narrow down the roughest cruise as far as weather conditions are concerned. Over all, I would say that my cruises on the Holiday have been the most turbulent. She's not very big and doesn't have the latest in stabilizer technology so she tends to rock and roll with the waves.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I am reaching for the green apples just reading about these adventures.

Our roughest cruise was on SS OceanBreeze in November 1996. The original itinerary was four nights from Port Everglades to Cozumel and back. There was a convergence of several storms in the Gulf, so we ended up going to the Bahamas and Key West. But, that was not after heading on our original course until we could go no further. Being an ocean liner, she rocked back and forth, and our views alternated between 100% sea and 100% sky. Outdoor decks were closed. Pax' breakfast dishes were sliding off the table. The comedian felt ill and the show could not go on. I'd heard that a piano toppled over.

I enjoyed it, overall, and never felt in any danger.

I've also had rough seas on a Canada/New England cruise on Splendour of the Seas (October 1999, preventing us from docking in Sydney, NS), and on a 2005 cruise on Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda. In both cases, we met the tail end of hurricanes (categories 2 and 1, respectively), but both lasted just a day. The rough seas on OceanBreeze lasted almost the full cruise, yet the older ship handled the waves much better than the relatively newer ships.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 AM

I've never been in seas like that and hope I never am. Even though it sounds like fun, I don't think I want to chance those kind of seas. The roughest I've been in were 14-20', we were on the Skyward. We were seated at a table for 10, that night at dinner, we were the only ones at the table. The only ones able to walk in a straight line were those that had consumed one too many
Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 AM

We were on the Nordic Prince headed for Bermuda in 1991 during the "perfect storm" & had one rough trip. We bounced off around for two days off the coast of North Carolina because we weren't allowed back into any US port & had to ride it out. There was a broken leg, sprained ankles, etc. The ship rode the waves OK but there were a few broken windows from impact. There weren't to many people in the dr during any of the meals. Many people left the ship after our short stay in Bermuda (repositioning cruise) & flew home although the trip was smooth sailing once past the storm.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:37 PM

We were on Splendour of the Seas a few years back and we had some pretty rough seas. We got to do a bridge tour & while we were there I was looking at some of the equipment they use and saw a notification that said to expect "hurricane force winds". While rough seas usually don't bother me, seeing the horizon going up & down in & out of view really did a number on me. Leaving the Bridge, there were 'barf bags' on EVERY staircase and were basically all over the place. After going to our cabin & hubby getting me an apple I was fine in about an hour & we laughed about the whole thing. It was a great cruise!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 AM

I too am getting queasy just reading this. The roughest seas for me was on the Celebration coming back up the Florida coast following a storm. My cabin was in the front of the ship and I could literally not stand up in there. The front of the ship would dip so low I thought the water was going to come over the bow.

The oddest thing was on the Glory in 2005 the week of Hurricane Wilma. We had been re-routed to the eastern itinerary. Another storm was around Nassau so we had to head out of there early. I don't know what happened, but the ship tilted all of the sudden. The unsecured display items came off the shelves at the lido bar. The water came out of the pool and washed the deck chairs into the tables and the railings. The crew was just as puzzeled as the passengers. Everyone ran to the other side of deck. The crew said it had never happened before to that degree. One of the same bartenders was on the Legend last year and recognized me, and recalled the incident well.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic, bob, carnival, carolina, cruise, gale, hurricane, nordic, prince, roughest, ship, south, storm, time, tropicale