Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Although the cruise lines aren't planning any new ships for a while it appears as though people are being drawn to a cruise as being a value since the inrease in fuel prices.
From NBC News
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26161262/
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

I think a wait-and-see business approach is a good idea for the cruise lines. New builds used to be more spread out but things really took off 10 years ago and it has been a frenzy.

There may be a lot of berths out there, but they don't seem to be having problems filling them. And of course, each new ship means an older ship that can be moved to a new port. Personally, I won't mind a little lull in the action in order for things to get sorted out. I used to be able to list each cruise ship sailing from a U.S. port and it's itinerary (yes, really). It wasn't that hard to do when Carnival had 10 ships and RCI had 8. I wouldn't even attempt it today!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It wasn't that hard to do when Carnival had 10 ships and RCI had 8. I wouldn't even attempt it today!
I have to double check the Carnival ships. They keep shuffling them around. Heck, their own internet content editors mess up. They had the Liberty listed in the specials as being in FLL a week after it was suppose to move to MIA.

A wait and see approach seems prudent to me as well. This is probably why Carnival's Pinnacle Project was put on the back burner for now.

Dwayne
Old 08-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Princess wasn't slacking either, they started with the Crown, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Royal, and probably some others that I forgot. Celebrity has the Solstice. Costa had the Magica, Mediterranea, and there's another one coming that I forgot the name of. They sure don't seem to have trouble filling any of them.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Well there is much to do with the old cruises
even today,

but here is what I think,
Why they keep building new ship the size of Dinosaurs?
I enjoy bigger ships, no doubt about that, but also the cruise companies have been letting out a few oportunities with the ones they already have.
You can upgrade a few ship with less money.

I have a few ideas that can work out for them and for us,that are cheaper and faster than building a new ship.
Can anyone tell me where I can send them this ideas??
I don't want to mail it for nothing, I can post them on the chat but
Will I get a reaction from them about it in some way??
I don't really know if someone have the answer please let me know...
Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Mega-ships have appeal and the cruise lines are simply responding to the market. The truth is more cruisers like big ships than do small ones. If it were the other way around, they'd be pumping out ships that held 800 passengers like hot cakes. There is also the economy of scale, where a huge ship offers a greater and quicker return on the investment than a small ship would.

I don't know any contacts for sending in unsolicited ideas for improving existing ships, other than to say send them to the office of the cruise line President or CEO for each line. I'd have to say you would more than likely get a polite form letter in reply, but that is all. But who knows? The only way to find out is send in your ideas.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Well I will post them here then at least I will see how much power our posts have,
Thanks for your response Dave
I can't agree more with your point, even then the ideas I will post can be use on the new ship will see what happen...
Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 AM

That's true Casanova, sometimes those not in the business have better ideas than those in the business. An outsider (consumer) can give a different perspective.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 PM

Cas, you should type a nice professional letter and send it in. You never know, they may respond. I sent a nice letter to Carnival once about an issue I had during the cruise. I just wanted to point it out, not make a complaint about it. They sent me one of their famous 45 day letters. The next cruise they had implemented my suggestion. I can't say it was because of my letter though.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
building, cruise, freedom, party, seas, ship, ultimate