Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM

I love sail aways, except after I've done my final disembarkation and I watch her sail away without me.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:19 PM

I like the sailaway from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale. There's such a different view of things from the sea to shore.
One time, after I returned from a week on the Legend on a Saturday morning, I got home and logged onto the Sunshine Skyway (St Petersburg FL) website later that afternoon and watched the Legend sail UNDER the skyway! It was really cool to see, and yet very sad that we were not on board.
Christine
Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Yes we always on deck or on our balcony for 'sailaway'. It's a time to reflect on the port we just visited and a time to look forward to a full evening in a relaxed atmosphere with no need to pay.
We always try to be on deck for our arrival in port in the morning. I think it is the anticipation of visiting a new place. Mind you sometimes we don't manage the morning viewing if the previous evening has been too relaxing!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 PM

Doing the sail away is always a tradition for us. It started with our first cruise when they use to do the streamers and blast out "Anchors Aweigh". Everyone is having a great time, then comes the LifeBoat Drill!

Dwayne
Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM
The last couple of Princess Cruises they have done the boat drill before sailing. This is great because it gets it out of the way (not that it's not important) and you can enjoy the sailaway without that hanging over your head.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Rick, CCL should follow that lead. It would be better than pushing the "Funship Specials" and then trying to get their attention. IMHO.

Dwayne
Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 AM
I usually go to one of the upper decks for sailaway. Of course you have to have a DOD in hand.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 09-21-2007, 07:12 AM

We LOVE sail aways. Have missed a few because of muster drills. Or because of dinner times. But, this cruise we, as of group, are going to be up top, with our champaign or beer or drink of the day and enjoying every single minute until we cannot see the lights of San Juan any longer!!!! We all have our own balconies, but want to be together. It is a great kick off for the cruise week.
OMG....now you have me salivating just thinking about it!!!
Thanks

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM

What was I thinking? I must have been confusing the pre-muster festivities with the sail away. CCL does the muster just before as well. Those DODs carry a punch.

Dwayne
Old 09-21-2007, 07:52 PM
As I'm sure you know Dwayne, the muster drills on Princess are really painless; get your vest, go to a lounge, listen to the instructions, put your vest away.

I was very surprised on Veendam that we actually had to line up on deck by our assigned lifeboat, go through the whole put-it-on-take-it-off thing, be inspected, and actually have a roll call. I applaude HAL for their attention to detail--but that was unexpected.

Closed Thread

Tags
amsterdam, cruise, drill, leave, logo, muster, musters, neiuw, orleans, port, sail, sailing, ship, ships, tampa, watch, watching