Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Hello,

We are on the Emerald Princess transatlantic sailing in April of 2008, from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona.

As usual it is my responsibility to make the air arrangements, but this time it is for my wife and I and another couple. The other couple likes to take lots of clothes and I do not have the heart to tell the very nice lady that she can't take trunks full of clothes.

My question...I know that foreign airlines such as Aer Lingus, Luftansa, Iberia, and others have very stringent weight requirements. However, if a domestic airline such as Delta or United has a codeshare with a foreign airline, which baggage requirements are applicable (the foreign carrier or the domestic carrier that you book with).

We willbe flying back to the USA from Barcelona, so any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 10-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Hello,

We are on the Emerald Princess transatlantic sailing in April of 2008, from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona.

As usual it is my responsibility to make the air arrangements, but this time it is for my wife and I and another couple. The other couple likes to take lots of clothes and I do not have the heart to tell the very nice lady that she can't take trunks full of clothes.

My question...I know that foreign airlines such as Aer Lingus, Luftansa, Iberia, and others have very stringent weight requirements. However, if a domestic airline such as Delta or United has a codeshare with a foreign airline, which baggage requirements are applicable (the foreign carrier or the domestic carrier that you book with).

We willbe flying back to the USA from Barcelona, so any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 AM

Initially luggage restrictions follow the rules of the country in which you book your flights. If you book a code share flight with a USA airline in the USA and they code share with a European airline the USA company restrictions apply. However if you transfer to a low cost version of the airline restrictions may vary. It is best to book with a travel agent and check the rules at the time of booking. Maybe even get it in writing.
We fly with Iberia on a regular basis, they code share with American and we have never had a problem. Iberia fly into New York, Miami, Chicago, Boston and I think Washington (although this flight may not have started yet). Onward flights are booked through American, or sometimes United.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 AM

Unless you were to use one of the European budget airlines (i.e. Easyjet, Ryanair, etc) you will have no problem. All the major airlines seem to generally use the 50 pounds per bag X 2 bags per person rule on any flight to or from the USA and this would include the intra-European flights as long as they are ticketed on the same ticket as your flight from the USA. Be careful. If you purchase an intra-European flight on a seperate ticket that flight would be subject to the European weight restrictions which is usually 20 kilos per person (about 44 pounds) total. Also you do need to check on the carry-on specifics for each airline as that can vary (even on flights to or from the USA).

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
aer, airlines, american, baggage, code, cruises, flights, information, lingus, luftansa, luggage, requirements, shared, sharing, weight, x2