Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 PM

I've never been on a cruise before but I'm trying to organize a trip for the summer/fall with my 78 year old Mother. She really wants to do the Trans-Canadian train from Toronto to Vancouver then a week cruise to Alaska.
I travel a lot for business and am extremely picky about accomodations and service; she's a 78 year old English lady who'll be happy as long as she doesn't have to walk too far and the tea is hot when she gets there.
I've been looking at Holland America, Princess, Regent Seven Seas and Carnival. Which is the best? Best Food? Best service? Should I go stateroom with veranda or suite? Which route offers the best scenery? I don't really care about good shore excursions as my Mother can't walk far. I just nee some advice from people who have done the trips.

HELP!!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:57 AM

Hi Tres,

My vote would be for an Inside Passage cruise, round trip from Vancouver, on either Holland America or Regent. Regent is a different class of cruise line, being a "luxury" cruise line, as the difference in price would indicate, as compared to the other cruise lines you mentioned. If time and budget permit a Regent cruise, you'll find the best service and possibly food on that line. Holland America is a "premium" cruise line and caters to a more senior passenger than Princess or Carnival, so that would be a good choice, too.

Similarly, if your cruise budget allows for a suite, it will give you more room, a bit more privacy when you want it, and perhaps a butler or concierge at your service.

You're in for a great time!

Sandy
Old 02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello treszzz and welcome to cruise-chat;
I really have nothing to add to what Sandy had to say, other than I agree completely--an Inside Passage cruise in a suite on a Regent Seven Seas ship should suit you and Mother perfectly.
And what a wonderful son you are to do this for your Mom.
I say that because I'm taking my 90 year-old Mother on a cruise this summer.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Hello,

I would add Celebrity to the list of possible cruise lines. Celebrity ships are competitive with the others in terms of food and so on. However, I have been on a Regent cruise ship. And Celebrity ships have a very nice European ambiance that adds to the overall cruise experience. I am not saying that you select Celebrity, just take a look at what they have to offer.

I agree that a Vancouver round trip cruise to Alaska would be a wonderful cruise for you and your mother.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, noobs, reviews, ship, treszzz