Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I had been checking with Southwest. They only post 5 months out, but I will periodically check to see what's what within their booking time. Looking over the past few month, they had limited flights, which would have meant leaving a day earlier and leaving the day after... with your question, I thought I would check their website, and Lo-And-Behold - they now have a second, later departing flight that would let us actually leave on the date of debarkation. The price is "fairly" good too. Of course, having to wait 5 - 6 months to book, no telling what prices will be... but, I'm not planning to book until spring anyway. We just bought new laminate flooring for the house and need to get this paid before airfare!

I hear what youall are saying about the difference between Travelocity and the airlines websites. I usually go to Travelocity to see who flies where I want to go and what prices are, then I go to the airlines to book. Yesterday, I went to Travelocity, saw $304; went to the airline and saw $698. No lie. I was amazed.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 PM

Maybe we are just lucky that we live close an airport served by both Southwest and Jetblue(they share the whole terminal)but we are always able to fly cross country for under 150 each way and southwest never charges for bags.We never fly in the day of the cruise so we always have the extra expense of the hotel.We recent booked air from SF to San Jaun one way for under 180 on AA so I think the bargains are still out there but sights such as travelocity and expedia don't list the low cost carriers as they don't pay commisions.Seek and you shall find.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM

I found airfare from Milwaukee to West Palm Beach for $440 round trip. That's only $220 each. It's an hour drive from WPB to Ft. Lauderdale, and the car rental is $32. I haven't found a hotel yet for the night before the cruse, but I'm putting bids in on Priceline. I have a 7pm flight at the end of our cruise, and the car rental is $27. I pays to check all the alternatives. I'm flying Airtran. They just started charging $15 for the first bag, which actually brings the cost of the flight up. I don't like it, but, there's nothing I can do about it unless I drive 21 hours each way, and I don't even want to think about that.

Sonny
Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Sorry to say it this way but the amount of airlines that Americans have at their availability is awesome. Us Canadians have literally 2 airlines to chose from and in this case both gouge the customer. A typical flight for a family of 4 to Orlando is costing us $ 3884.00 Cdn for economy class.Included in the cost are taxes totally $ 365.00. So with the cost of the cruise and the separate airfare, its no wonder why most canadians chose to use the fly aweigh program.

Canuchcrusiers
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

quote:
Sorry to say it this way but the amount of airlines that Americans have at their availability is awesome.

To a certain extent we Americans have been spoiled over the years by cheap airfares. But it was the norm for us and a reality of market conditions and population. Don't forget that the U.S. has 10 times the population of Canada so there is more competition for business.

You can't fly with United from YEG to MCO? I just searched for a typical 7-night cruise in January and found flights for a round trip of $331 per person with United. The same is $688 with Air Canada.

Closed Thread

Tags
air, cost, cruise, high