Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 06:26 AM

Can anyone please tell me the difference in dress code for norwegian to holland american. I know the dress is more casual for norwegian which i like but i am interested in a holland america cruise and am worried it will be to dressy for our liking.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

HAL is indeed more formal, but not so much as one would think. A couple of years ago, they simplified the dress code to two classifications - formal and smart casual, which you can read about HERE. Jackets are not required on the non-formal (smart casual) nights. Most of the gentlemen will wear anything from dockers with a golf shirt to slacks with long-sleeve button down shirt, no tie. Formal can get pretty formal, yet the gentlemen will not be out of place in a suit/jacket/tie, and the ladies will be just fine in a cocktail dress or silk pantsuit.

That all said, the itinerary may make a difference. Which HAL cruise(s) are you considering, and how many nights are they?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 AM

10 night southern which goes to the panama canal. Do you have to do formal, as i would rather not.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 AM
You never have to do formal if you choose not to; there is always the buffet.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:40 PM
On our last three HAL cruises, my husband wore his slacks with a sport coat and tie for formal nights, with no problems or issues. I have a "little black dress" for formal nights. Other nights are slacks and a polo/button down shirt for him and a casual dress for me - only because I don't have casual slacks/trousers. Norwegian will be much more casual, but formal night is still formal night - whichever line you choose. For dining in the dining room, look to at least a jacket and tie for him, nice dress/pant suit for her.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 AM

In the FAQ section of our board, there are links for many of the cruise lines for their dress codes.

Closed Thread

Tags
casual, dress