Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Saw this piece of news and wondered what your views are.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...iwzGQD8U03MG80

At the moment its only a proposal.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Administrator

To me this is a desperate attempt by NCL to salvage their mismanaged U.S. flagged ship operations. Instead of improving the product to fill the ships they get the government to step in.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 AM

I agree with Dave. I think the Government should stand clear. I do not think adding a day in Mexico or where ever would stop the cruises or help them out. We want to do Hawaii, will probably go out of San Diego. We want the sea days.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 AM

I also hope the Gov't stays out of this issue. NCL tried to open a new market with a new approach. They ran into government regulations from the state of Hawaii that helped create the mees they're in now. If their product in Hawaii is inferior, and it is, to the product provided by the rest of the industry the solution is easy. They mentioned re-flagging POH and moving it. Simply re-flag both the other ships and base them in CA to compete heads up on the same playing field they're looking for. To give a competitive advantage through regulation to the one line that experimented and failed sounds just like the kind of program the government would stick their nose in and make worse than it is today. The free market can fix this on it's own. Those who don't provide the product it's clients expect continue to loose money and eventually fix it or fail.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Dosen't sound like a "level playing field" to me; it sounds like NCL American is trying to put Princess and Holland America at a distinct disadvantage. Who's going to go on a cruise to Hawaii that spends 48 hours in Ensenada. Four hours is three too many.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Who's going to go on a cruise to Hawaii that spends 48 hours in Ensenada. Four hours is three too many.
Now that's funny!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

The words that I'm thinking aren't suitable for posting.

I'm not a lawyer, but in looking though the text of the proposal (see link below), I wonder how it will apply to other itineraries that make one stop outside the U.S. For example, the Chamber of Commerce of Catalina has already expressed its concern as itineraries that stop there also stop in Ensenada as the only non-U.S. port. What will this mean for Alaska cruises? Or, the 4-nighters from NY to Nova Scotia and back?

I do not believe for a second that the reason cited for the proposal is true - an increase in competition in Hawai'i cruises from the west coast. They are entirely different types of cruises. I'm certain a lot of jobs are generated by those cruises, too.

The full text of the proposal may be found here.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Also - looking at the number of cruises each year from the coast to the islands as compared to the number of cruises NCL America does makes the argument even more silly.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The words that I'm thinking aren't suitable for posting.
Lisa, I've never been a mind reader before but I know exactly what you were thinking. I had the exact same reaction.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 AM

I was shaking my head and rolling my eyes after reading it!

Dwayne

Closed Thread