Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Casanova frankenstein:
Picture this example:
You are having fun!!
And then splat!!!
You just walk over doggie poo.
NICE!!!
I have two dogs I love them as my sons but I don't think the will have fun on ports
What are you going to do?
Leave them on your cabin?
What happen if they bite someone like the ones that work on your room service?
Or
What happen with the cabin next to you, your neighbors which ones had pay good money for their vacation too, if they start barking during the day or during night?
I will tell you my point of view:
You can have a lot of trouble just for getting the dog inside the ship, but you can have more trouble when you are at sea and people start complaining about your dog, sadly Dogs are nice but not everyone is a Dogs person so you know you will have troubles anyway.
IF I were you I will just leave them with someone that can take good care of them like I do during my cruises…
Good Points! I wouldn't want to get in the dog house with anybody on board!

Maybe it isn't such a good idea. After all, it is a dog eat dog world out there.

Ok I'm done now.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 09-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Actually, Cunard line used to have staffed kennels on their ships in the old days. I am not sure about their newer ships, but you might want to send them an e-mail.

Hank
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

I know there was a kennel on QE2 in 2003 when I was onboard for a transatlantic crossing. Remember, the reason for the kennel was to accommodate the pets of pax who were relocating or taking a very long vacation on the opposite side of the Atlantic and who wanted or needed the pet to come along. The pets were not allowed out of the kennel, but they could be visited there by their humans.

As for traveling with a service animal -- which is quite different -- I recall an article in Cruise Travel magazine a few years ago about a woman and her seeing eye dog who had been on numerous cruises together. The article described some of the accommodations made by the crew for the comfort and needs of the companion dog. There were also very stringent rules about vaccinations and, in some cases, quarantines, but I don't recall the details. This last part would apply to any animal traveling onboard ship, not just service animals.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 PM

The Queen Mary 2 has 12 kennels with a full time kennel master on the transatlantic voyages.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 PM
We are considering a great high rise for retirement but thought it not possible because of our pets. I saw no place to really walk the dogs and I would hate to have to go down 14 floors to take Madonna our Min Pin for her numerous walks in the middle of the night. She is worse than a newborn. 2am 6 am 8 am. Luckily she goes straight to my husband. She prefers him to take her out.

We found out that the 5th floor is actually the grounds for the pets. They have a large area on the same floor as the pool to walk the dogs. Actually all around the building. It has artificial turf that is treated with something that attracts the dogs to it. They also have pooper scoopers and bags for cleanup. They hose the turf off daily. What a great idea! I see something like that working on a section of ship. It would be great to bring our pets.

I feel so guilty kenneling mine for 10 days while I am off having fun. I know they do not understand. Luckily I do not have to do it all the time as my brother and I take care of each others pets but this Nov we are all going on a cruise so all have to be kenneled. I have thought of pet sitters but do not feel comfortable with strangers having access to my home.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 AM

I used to kennel my dog and feel terrible about it. Then I read a couple of articles about how dogs don't have a sense of time. You can pick your dog up in 10 days, and it's likely he thinks you picked him up the day you dropped him off.

Sandy
Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM

When we were on the Oosterdam, a lady had her eye-dog with her. There evidentally is a "poop deck" for the animals. That is what the crew called it anyway.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 PM

I'm organizing a fund raising cruise for Guide Dogs of Texas. We have two guide dogs coming on the cruise. The dogs will have a 4 x 4 box filled with cyprus mulch or turf.

There are stringent requirements for getting on and off the ship. The dogs will not be able to get off in Jamaica at all. They could have gotten off in Grand Cayman but the two visually impaired people didn't want to pay the $400 it would take to fulfill all the requirements. And the process would have taken about 6 months. The dogs will be able to get off in Mexico.

The dogs can not be left alone in the cabins when their owners are ashore. I'll stay on the ship and care for the dogs in Jamaica and Grand Cayman while the visually impaired people go ashore with their spouses.

I get iritated when people misuse the law to take their pets where they would not normally be allowed to go. On the other hand assistance animals are used for many reasons that are not as apparent as someone who is visually impaired.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Speaking of cruising with dogs, I just posted this video on the another topic about Streamers thrown from the ship. It is a video of an old episode of the Love Boat staring Fannie Flagg and Gene Rayburn. This video is very apros-pos to this topic (is that how you spell that French word?). Anyway, click on this link to see the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5-ZUL4lK3g
Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 PM

Seeing-eye dogs or any service dog should be allowed on board. They are trained to be calm and gentle. Cruises should not exclude anyone because of a disabiliy. Good to hear there is a poop deck on HAL ships. Any deposits can get flushed just like the human kind.

I have no problem leaving my wonderful boxer/shepherd mix at home. Someone has to look after my teenagers while I am at sea!

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
accept, bring, bringing, carnival, cruise, cruises, cruising, dog, dogs, lines, pets, princess, ships, them, types