Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I was wondering what kind of camera would be best to bring on a cruise? I have both a digital, 35mm, and a video camcorder. I am leaving on my cruise in four months. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:16 AM

We just got back from a Carribean cruise on Carnival Conquest. I took my Sony digital camera, which I paid $499 for three years ago, and between the salt water and humidity....it is now ruined and will never work again. :-(

I recommend only disposable cameras....the pictures are quite as good...and maybe you can enhance them, if need be....but any camera of any value is not a good idea at sea!

One tidbit of advice....which I wish I had had before it was too late....on an excursion we went on...there was a couple there with a protective water-proof case for their digital camera. They told me they got it at www.scuba.com.....I wish I would have known that. Get a protective covering for your camera...and you should have no problems at all. If you choose not to...take disposables!!!

Wish I had known sooner!

Christy
Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 AM

We've taken our digital on several cruises and never had any problems. I also take the 35mm for excursions on catamarans, sailboats, or beaches. The disposable ones are good, especially the underwater ones, if you're into snorkeling or diving. I use the digital only when I'm not going to have to leave it somewhere, like on a land tour. Not that it was that expensive, it's a Kodak 3.6 mega pixel. But honestly, I've never had any damage from the salt air and heat. Best wishes!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 PM

I like my old digital camera. I find it too much work to bring the camcorder. If my kids were younger I would go with the camcorder, always a blast to watch years later. I like to blow up my better digital photos and frame them. I understand you can do that from a camcorder too, but don't ask me how.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
...Sony digital camera, which I paid $499 for three years ago, and between the salt water and humidity....it is now ruined and will never work again. :-(
I purchased my Canon Sureshot digital a couple of years ago to take on an African safari and it has since been to Europe, the UK, India, Egypt, Jordan, the UAE and on several cruises. It has never given a problem and has worked beautifully. Ditto with a Sony DVD camera purchased at the same time. Christy, can't imagine what could have happened to yours. Have you tried contacting Sony to send it in for inspection/repair/replacement?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
After watching a woman on our last cruise to Hawaii draped in cameras and spending more time focusing and not on enjoying the beauty of the islands, we have decided that we will not be slaves to the lens.... we have bought two disposable underwater cameras for our snorkeling adventures (one for each of us), which can also be used out of the water.... and one disposable land camera. Four years ago on a cruise to Mexico, we brought our not really that old 35mm, and couldn't get replacement batteries on board - funny how they had batteries for every new camera in existence, but nothing in a AA... we ended up buying them in a farmacia in Loreto...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:16 PM

Yeah, that's why I don't bring more than one, no more camcorder, no one ever wants to watch someone elses cruise movies anyway, ( I don't even watch my own!). Like I said, if you have young kids, the movies are great fun to watch years later but otherwise I'd go for a smaller easy to manage camera. I have an old Sony Mavica digital camera, a tad bulky, but it won't die. Cristy, surprised your Sony did that, I want mine to break, so I can justify buying a new one. Guess everyone's got thier own problems
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 PM

Definitely, the lighter you pack the better. So leave the camcorder at home unless you absolutely want to capture some precious memories.

We too realized that sometimes, we tend to focus more on the camera or camcorder and that takes away from the enjoyment of the moment.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 PM

The only camera I'd check with my luggage is one that you don't care about because you'll probably never see it again.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 PM

I've been on 9 cruises with my Kodak 5 meg digital camera and never had a problem. I don't bother taking my camcorder since I bought my Kodak. I'm always looking at my digital photos, which I have on a photo website. Haven't looked at my videos for years. I paid almost $600 for my Kodak two years ago. Now it would cost about $250. I'd go with a digital camera if I were you. No less than a 4 meg.

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, camcorder, camera, cameral, carnival, carry, cruise, cruises, crusie, florida, humidity, kind, ruin, ship, type