Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Had to share this. Flew on American Airlines from San Diego to Chicago on Monday morning 8/21. Arrived in ORD and then changed aircraft to Iberia from Ord to Madrid with a plane change to Iberia from Madrid to Barcelona. Flights were on time and excellent (we used miles and flew 1st class) When we got to Barcelona we cleared immigration and then went to claim our bags.

Unfortunately, our luggage didn't make it. We stuck around for a couple more flights from Madrid...no bags. I filed a claim with Iberia and they had no record of our bags and were not very hopeful. American had apparently put the wrong flight number on the bag tags....groan. So we made the best of it yesterday, had an excellent tapas and wine dining experience last night in an outdoor restaurant and got up this morning and called Iberia.

They still had no idea where the luggage was. So we headed off for some shopping so that we could acquire the most important things that we might need and also located stores in case the worst happened and our bags didn't make it in time for our cruise this Saturday. We stopped for lunch in the Gothic district and had plenty of sangria, which kind of took the edge off the situation. When we got back to our hotel (Hotel Claris, I would highly recommend it in Barcelona) we asked if our luggage had shown up...No, was the answer that we got.

We went back to our room and there it was. Yipeee! So the moral of the story is this;

Always fly into your port of departure at lease one day early!!!!!! More is better. We had a 4-day cushion to recover should we had needed it and in this case even one day would not have been enough. I guarantee you that luggage would have never caught up with us if we had boarded the ship yesterday afternoon.

Happy in Barcelona with our luggage.

Tom
Old 08-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Hi Tom,

glad to hear that your luggage has reappeared so fast. I just can`t hold myself from telling you this: You would have been the very first one to travel with IBERIA and to receive your luggage immediately after your flight at the baggage- claim, especially when connecting at Madrid.

This happens always when traveling with IBERIA, friends of mine waited 3 days for their bags after they flew from germany to the island of Mallorca changing IBERIA planes in Barcelona. Unfortunately, they stayed only 4 days. My father`s luggage was also missing when he was flying to a brief business meeting on the island of Teneriffa 5 years ago (he had conection in Madrid). As the meeting was only for 2 nights, they sent the bags once they were found directly back to germany. So all in all you`re a really lucky guy, Tom.

Just don`t believe their lies that it was the fault of American Airlines...

Have a great cruise!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 AM

Apparently not much has changed in 30+ years. In 1973 (yes, that dates me) I flew to Spain to meet my husband after his Navy deployment, to spend a couple weeks touring around. I too had to change planes on Iberia, this time in Madrid. We got in a bit late, so I literally had to run to catch my flight to Seville. Then I sat in the Seville airport - on hard, straight-backed benches - for about 4 1/2 hours waiting for my bags to show up on a later flight. Fortunately they did, as I still had trains and buses to catch to Rota.

Thanks for the memories! Glad your bags got there in time, Tom!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 AM

Boy we you all lucky!! I have had my luggage lost twice. Once upon returning from Germany, I landed in JFK, and my luggage didn't. The second time was when we flew back from Scotland. We flew from Edinburgh to London, then onto Phoenix. That time, an agent from British Airways was calling out my name to tell me (as I was standing at the luggage carousel), that my luggage never made it. She said it would arrive the next day. Both companies delivered my luggage to my house. Now, I try my best, and pay extra to always fly as non-stop as possible. I was fortunate that both episodes occurred, when we were coming home. I felt very EMPTY without my luggage. I can't imagine the feeling one would have, if it happens at the beginning of the vacation. That would just suck!!! I have met people who have traveled quite alot, and they have never lost there luggage. Tom, has this happened to you before?? Well, I am sure the sangria, can help with any kind of woes one would have. Enjoy Europe and all her splendor. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM

Tom, I can tell that with your attitude you would have had a fine trip, anyway.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:23 AM

So the Sangria was really good, huh? Hope the rest of the trip makes up for the luggage part! Sharpy
Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 AM

Sun Prince and Karen, you both have me laughing out loud. This isn't our first experience with Iberia (I am not sure, but I think Iberia in Spanish means "Lost Luggage") On one trip, Joanie was the guest of the Spanish government for a 5-day sojourn throughout the Malaga area for an industry summit. Her bag was delayed a day, but one of the guys (the president of a huge tour company) never got his bags. He and his wife were going on for another 14-days beyond the summit, all without luggage.

While we were waiting for the subsequent Madrid flights we figured our the way Iberia does it. The luggage comes in late and of course the passengers have already filed claims and left. They go around and around the belt for hours before someone picks them up and puts them in a pile next to the belt. After a few more hours someone picks them up and takes them down near the lost baggage claim area where they are stored with the feww thousand other bags that are marked "rush".

I am not sure of the process form there, but I am sure it is equally effective....VBG.

Carla, as you have already found out in your life...."don't sweat the small stuff". My wife and I have learned that the typical travel stuff that drives people nuts is just another story waiting to be told and we relish each moment (usually with a glass of wine in each hand). She was actually sorry she didn't get to go shopping.

Lil' Lory. Yes I have been on several cruises without luggage The most ridiculous one was on a cruise in Costa Rica. I flew American to LACSA connecting in L.A.. I had misinterpreted the day the cruise was leaving and they had to send a tender for me. No luggage....groan. I did the entire cruise with nothing and unfortunately all I wore on the aircraft was a pair of shorts, shirt and sandals.

It worked out OK though because everyone took pity on me. One couple had brought tee shirts and baseball caps to give away to the Costa Ricans, so they let me use the stuff for the cruise.

Sharpy....the sangria is AWESOME!!!!!

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
airplane, barcelona, cruise, hi, reviews