Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2004, 08:11 AM

I've never been on a cruise before or any further out of the US than Canada. I am planning on taking the E.Caribbean cruise (Miami, Key West, Cozumel) next year. Do I need a passport for this cruise or is birth certificate and license sufficient??
Thx
Old 09-30-2004, 08:11 AM

I've never been on a cruise before or any further out of the US than Canada. I am planning on taking the E.Caribbean cruise (Miami, Key West, Cozumel) next year. Do I need a passport for this cruise or is birth certificate and license sufficient??
Thx
Old 09-30-2004, 08:49 AM

Although a passport is preferred, for the ports you will be visiting a birth certificate (must be original with raised seal) and driver's license will suffice.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-30-2004, 09:10 AM

Nancy is quite right. I would go a step further, though, and recommend you get a passport. You have plenty of time to do that, as the processing generally takes less than 8 weeks. And though it may seem expensive, a passport lasts 10 years. If you plan to do more traveling in the future - whether another cruise or on land - it will come in handy. There is also the chance that at some point, either the U.S. or some of the Caribbean countries may start requiring passport use for those traveling abroad, even on a cruise.

I personally find having a passport is very convenient. Rather than having to take special care of my original birth certificate, folding it carefully, making sure it doesn't tear, or worse - that I don't lose it, and rather than having to juggle two or more pieces of ID, the passport is all-in-one. It is accepted for boarding an airplane, even for travel within the U.S., boarding a cruise ship, or flying to another continent.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:45 AM

Thanks to all! You're right .. I've got the time so I may as well get a passport. I hate keeping my birth certificate on my person. Too easy to lose!
Old 10-27-2004, 05:42 AM

So, All I need to fly is a passport and to cruise I need a passport and drivers license
Old 10-27-2004, 10:38 AM

You don't need a driver's license to cruise as long as you have a valid passport. However, you will probably have the license on you to drive to your local airport (or to the cruise port), and I have found it's more convenient to carry for photo ID on shore excursions, rather than the passport, especially if getting wet (i.e. snorkeling, climbing Dunns River Falls, etc.) is a possibility - these days, most licenses are plastic, not paper, and will survive getting wet better than a passport will. And a license fits well in an ID pouch or small fanny pack.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:40 AM

I should finish my train of thought here, to clarify what I meant in the last message - I personally like having both the passport along (to check in for both flights and the cruise) and my license (for ease of use on shore excursions during the cruise). But you don't *need* both, as long as your passport is valid.

Closed Thread