Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 AM

Hi all im from the UK and new to cruising. I wanted to know if you can use your mobile phone on board, im able to use it in the USA but when i went to the Bahamas last year we wernt able to use it. We really need to be able to use our own mobile/number as we run our own business and need to keep in contact with around 100 people to do with our business 24/7. Thanks for any help in adance.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 AM

Hi SWV!! Welcome to Cruise Chat! (your one stop resource for all of your cruise information needs ) If you already haven't done so, you should upgrade to a quad-band cell phone. This will give you the greatest international versatility. Mine has been pretty much all over the world and it provides superior coverage even in less populated areas. Check with your local coverage provider and they may offer a discount international package that will save you money. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 AM

va·ca·tion
–noun 1. a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday: Schoolchildren are on vacation now.

2. a part of the year, regularly set aside, when normal activities of law courts, legislatures, etc., are suspended.

3. freedom or release from duty, business, or activity.
4. an act or instance of vacating.

–verb (used without object)
5. to take or have a vacation: to vacation in the Caribbean.

Do what you wish with this information
Old 08-10-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MiketheKid:
va·ca·tion
–noun 1. a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday: Schoolchildren are on vacation now.

2. a part of the year, regularly set aside, when normal activities of law courts, legislatures, etc., are suspended.

3. freedom or release from duty, business, or activity.
4. an act or instance of vacating.

–verb (used without object)
5. to take or have a vacation: to vacation in the Caribbean.

Do what you wish with this information
Really dont understand this reply, swv was asking for advice
Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 AM

petelikesncl- Some people do not understand that there are many people that even though they are on vacation, cannot not ingore their business. Which it sounds like the group that SWV is a member of.

The quad band phone is a good idea. (Espcially if you travel abroad often). But as far as the cruise is concerned, which line are you cruising on? The Carnival ships and the Royal Caribbean ships allow you to use your cell phone on board (you should check into the charges for this before doing so). Most of the caribbean islands are NOT using GSM for their systems. Most use CDMA. But, in the States, Cingular/ATT are using GSM systems now, so they may be spreading that to the islands too. My advice is to contact your provider and tell them where you will be traveling to and find out if they have roaming contracts with the providers there. Sometimes you have to be enabled for international usage and in some cases on a country by country basis.

My other suggestion would be to consider using email to keep in contact. You can buy a internet cafe "minutes" packge for less money than using the ship to shore phones.

Hope that helps.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 AM

good reply Jim C, some people can't let go and this is why texting is a good idea as well.I for one don't want to be in the dining room or relaxing by the pool and hear nothing but business conversations etc ,that would be annoying but I think swv is well aware of this and just feels he needs the chance to use the phone in the privacy of his cabin to keep up to date with any problems that occur.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by swv:
Hi all im from the UK and new to cruising. I wanted to know if you can use your mobile phone on board, im able to use it in the USA but when i went to the Bahamas last year we wernt able to use it. We really need to be able to use our own mobile/number as we run our own business and need to keep in contact with around 100 people to do with our business 24/7. Thanks for any help in adance.
I think that most ships now have coverage, but if you could tell us which ship you might get a better answer.

Welcome to Cruise Chat!!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:33 PM

Yes, I completely understand that some people are unable to completely detach themselves from work, and therefore need to remain connected via cell phone, computer, etc...

My post was intended as a lighthearted joke
Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Hi all thanks for all your replys , even petelikesncl . , We would love to leave our phones at home, but me and hubby own a security firm. Only a smallish one we employ around 70 people. We Do Security for pubs, nightclubs, bowling alleys and transport.Its just hubby me and our 2 children.
We us usally go to Orlando for our holiday and this time we are suprising the kids with a cruise on the Carnival Liberty on the 9th Sept.
As the UK is 5 hours ahead of Orlando we get calls early evening from staff and managers and then when we are trying to sleep we get calls then because it is daytime in the UK. We have to deal with problems or managers requirements straight away as if we dont there is always another Security firm waiting to take over.Its a cut throat world and if we want to carry on having a good living and good holidays then we must give a good service. We try not to annoy people with our calls and obviously we would rather not have them as the cost in calls can be almost as expensive as the holiday itself. Sorry for the long winded reply, we will see about getting a Quad Phone . Thanks to you all.Happy Holidays
Old 08-10-2007, 03:03 PM

Sorry that should have said even Mikethekid

Closed Thread

Tags
bahamas, texting