Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Hi all my fellow cruise-chatters!
Swimmers on board's son did a science project on cruise ship stabilizers. It was a great idea and even earned him excused absences for the effort. We thought it might be interesting (and fun) to let our imaginations flow and give some thought to other projects kids might do while on a cruise to earn school credit. So, all you "out of the box" thinkers, educators, and anyone else who might have an idea - let's get creative.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-27-2005, 03:33 PM

Okay, I am not an educator and I have't been known as one who thinks out of the box. BUT, I think it woud be interesting to log all the food a family consumes on a cruise and compare it to their regular caloric intake. They could predict how much they will eat, how much weight they think they will gain and then compare it to the real thing (Of course they may not really want to know)
Sally
Old 04-27-2005, 03:38 PM

Of course there's the obvious, namely involving the ports of call. A student could do a geography project, with pre-cruise preparation including learning some basic facts about each island they will be visiting. The kids could then use their personal observations from their experiences on each island to do a comparison of islands - say, which one had the cleanest or the whitest beaches, and what causes the color of each island's beaches. Or what the non-tourist-related economy is based on (i.e. sugar cane, ship repair, etc.)
Old 04-27-2005, 03:47 PM

How about reasearching the animals that are indigenous to the ports of call - then seeing how many of them you can actually find (maybe do a photo-log).
Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 PM

I like the ideas so far - lets keep them coming.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-27-2005, 06:55 PM

BeachBunny... Lovin that idea that would be an awesome project. We booked a cruise for the time of year next year, definitely have to remember that one!! I would love to see those results! ( OR NOT!)
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 04-28-2005, 02:13 PM

Okay, I know this was my idea to start the thread, but in unpacking from my last cruise, I had a thought for a science project to add to our list: Collect sand from every port of call and from different beaches at the same port if applicable. Then categorize them according to color, texture, physical composition. Having started a "sand collection" I am amazed at the different quality and physical aspects of sand taken from various beaches in my travels. What I thought was a soft, white sandy beach was not necessarily so when compared with other samples.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-28-2005, 03:19 PM

Just don't take any from Hawaii - at least the black sand!
Old 04-28-2005, 04:04 PM

Good point Karen - you are always on your toes!!!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-01-2005, 03:42 PM

My son did a "cruise project" in which he took samples of the water from each port(including Miami). Once we returned home he ran tests and was abe to analyze and compare them. Now, I know this was a high school project, and don't ask me how he analyzed them - he is the science whiz in the family. But, when I saw this thread I just thought I would pass it on.
Cindi

Closed Thread