Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 12:31 PM

Husband and I are having a spat. He wants to bring MAC laptop on our RCI cruise, and I am concerned it could get stolen. He wanted me to post a question, if anyone has ever had anything stolen from staterooms?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-10-2004, 12:31 PM

Husband and I are having a spat. He wants to bring MAC laptop on our RCI cruise, and I am concerned it could get stolen. He wanted me to post a question, if anyone has ever had anything stolen from staterooms?

Old 05-10-2004, 12:54 PM

I haven't personally had anything stolen while on a cruise, but there were some posts earlier (last year sometime) by someone who did. If he's really concerned about it while onboard, he could leave it with the purser, except when he wants to use it. However, I'm sure those with some experience taking laptops on cruises (Tom Ogg, are you reading this today?) should have some good suggestions.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:31 PM

My cabin always looks like a server center with notebooks, printers and digital cameras. I always leave them out and connected and have never had a problem. I think most of the cruise employees already have automation, if they want it and are also pretty automation savvy.

Now if you were talking a huge diamond ring? I might be more concerned. I don't think your husband has anything to worry about.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 05-10-2004, 07:33 PM

Ooops, one more thing. If you are on one of the Voyager class ships, go immediately to the purser's desk and sign up for the "in cabin" Internet access. It is a flat rate for unlimited access and well worth it.

See ya online.

Tom
Old 05-10-2004, 07:37 PM

It was me (the wife) who was worried. My husbands thinks that the room keys are coded, and they can track who goes in and out. Is this true?? Thanks for the replies!!

Old 05-11-2004, 07:37 AM

I don't know if that's true, but the "room key" is also your sail card, which doubles as your cruise ID. On my last (RCI) cruise, the steward had a "master key" card he used to get into our room, which worked on multiple cabins - don't know how many. I think Tom is right, that the laptop is pretty safe, especially compared to smaller things that are more easily hidden. And for your small valuables, there are usually safes in the cabins that can be operated by any credit card (you can take an old expired one to use, if you want) or by a combination you can set yourself (and un-set when you are ready to leave for home). I have found those useful for small items like jewelry, small camera, extra money, passports, etc.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:23 AM

I know that thievery is bad on Celebrity. We missed the ship due to an accident. I'm not blaming Celebrity for that, they couldn't wait forever. However, we had a suite, which included packing. We finally got word to the ship to pack our luggage and we would claim it at the pier. That went fine, except when we got home and unpacked, we found that all the items that were in the safe were missing (cash & jewelery). We thought it was an oversight and called Celebrity. They claim they are not responsible for stolen cash or jewelery, the only things missing. Their only response was: To bad, so sad. We look forward to you cruising with us again.. Like we would.. If you fail to be responsible for stolen cash or jewelry, you are giving your employees carte'blanche on these items. We posted this episode on another cruise board and found that a lot of others had the same problem on Celebrity...
Old 06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

I can honestly say that out of all the cruises we have taken only 1 time about 15 years ago we had a bottle of wine taken out of our cabin.It was hidden in our cabin, and it was on the Brittanis. Needless to say I won't have to worry about that again, but I do wonder where that cabin steward is now? May be Celebrity !
Tom
Old 06-28-2004, 07:58 AM

We just returned from a Carnival Cruise on the Sensation on the 21st of June. We didn't have anything come up missing until we debarked. We were one of the last groups dismissed from the ship. When we went to claim our bags in the sea of other luggage we noticed that ours was not there. We set our bag outside the door like we were told and that is the last we saw of it. We have been in contact with Carnival since then and as of today (June 28th) it has yet to surface. It looks like we are out of luck because Carnival takes no responsibility even though it was in their charge. Has anyone gone through the same experiece?
Andy

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, caribbean, carnival, carribean, cruise, jewelry, laptop, ring, royal, safe, stateroom, staterooms, stolen