Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 AM

This wasn't on a ship, but was on an airplane, in the late 1960s. I was a teenager on my very first flight, going from New York's LaGuardia airport to Rochester, NY. The plane was delayed due to mechanical problems, and everyone started chatting. I was talking to the man sitting next to me, who turned out to be Mercer Ellington! The whole band was on that plane, including Duke Ellington, who was sitting in First Class. The Duke came back to coach to chat with "the boys" during the delay, and so did his seat-mate: Tony Bennett!

There was a young blind teenaged girl sitting across the aisle from me, traveling alone, and getting a bit agitated because she didn't know what was going on. Tony Bennett came back to talk to her, and then knelt down in the aisle next to her seat, and started singing, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" to her. AWESOME!! He only sang the first few lines, and we all applauded wildly. The girl kept saying, "Thank you, Mr. Bennett! Thank you, Mr. Bennett."

Mercer Ellington was nice enough to offer to get me into the concert they were playing in Rochester that night, but I had to decline because I had plans with the friend I was going to visit. The plane took off eventually and Mercer started reading, and after we landed an hour later, I never saw them again. It was a memorable first flight that I can recall in detail all these years later.

Sandy
Old 05-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
This wasn't on a ship, but was on an airplane, in the late 1960s. I was a teenager on my very first flight, going from New York's LaGuardia airport to Rochester, NY. The plane was delayed due to mechanical problems
Let me guess...the late not-so-great Mohawk Airlines?

Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Dave, I think it was Eastern Airlines. I never flew on Mohawk.

Reminds me of a Delta flight I was on a few months ago. As the FA was making the landing announcement, he ended by saying, "We know you have your choice of bankrupt airlines, and we appreciate your flying Delta."

Got a big laugh!

Sandy
Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM

Blast from my past...
Ozark Airlines
Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 PM
I was on the Glory in November. That was when we thought we were given a surprise performance on stage by STEVIE WONDER!! He performed the song "Superstitious" and was quickly whisked off the stage.

We later learned we were duped. It was the featured singer that night. At least I have to give him credit for looking just like Stevie.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Billy Hygate, CD on Island Princess (and every other ship in the fleet), still does a pretty impressive Tevye from "Fiddler on the Roof".
Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 PM

The closest person to a Hollywood Star I have met on a cruise would be Connie Stevens. We sat beside each other two nights in the Piano Bar at the piano on Fantasy. I was embarrassed the first night as I did not know who she was. We talked and she was so nice. The next night I was sitting at a table and she motioned for me to come up and sit with her. I will never forget it, she ordered a Martini for me, the first one I ever had

That would be the only famous person I have met on a cruise. I have had the humble experience of waiting on Pauly Shore. I chat with Vanna White a little when she comes home, and Grayson Hugh is a friend of mine.

That would be my limited brushes with fame
Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Isin't it strange; sometines the best know personalities are the most down-to-earth; it's the little twerps trying to make a name for themselves that make the most noise.

I'll bet Ms. Stevens was a complete lady; and something tells me Mr. Shore was also.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Billy Hygate, CD on Island Princess (and every other ship in the fleet), still does a pretty impressive Tevye from "Fiddler on the Roof".
Better than Zero Mostel or Topol? Since we are "out there" on the subject, anybody remember the crooner, Tom Netherton from the Lawerence Welk show? A friend of mine from college. I had a car and I hauled him to some of his auditions.

I think he is still doing shows somewhere in VA.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:18 PM

My best friend growing up, a guy named Mike Sagraves plays with Billy Ray Cyrus (spelling?) band. Can play anything with strings. I also knew Ricky Skaggs as a kid and sister dated Ashley and Wynona Judd's cousin, Naomi's nephew.

I know they're all country music folks, what do you expect from a guy who grew up in eastern Kentucky?

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
actor, ashland, billy, bluegrass, cruise, cruising, drive, great, hollywood, hygate, ky, met, nephew, netherton, star, stars, tom