Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Luggage Tag Question (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/2592-luggage-tag-question.html)

MCPayne 09-09-2010 03:23 PM

Hi everyone.

Those of you that order luggage tags and receive them before hand, do you attach them before you leave your house, or wait until after you land, claim your bags, and then put them on? RCI sent me way more luggage tags than I'll need. I figure I can put the tag on before hand, and keep the rest with me in my carry on that I'll have on the plane. Once I land, if the tag is gone, I can just attach another one.

Dave 09-09-2010 03:54 PM

I always wait, but then I usually fly down a day early. There are two schools of thought here. Some say put them on before you fly, that way if something is lost it can be tracked by the cruise line too and forwarded to the ship if possible. I think that makes more sense if you fly to the ship on embarkation day.

But since you have enough tags, the answer is simple. Just do as you said - put them on at home and replace missing ones if needed.

Jim C. 09-10-2010 08:53 AM

Like Dave said, it depends on when I am flying (the day of the cruise or early) AND if I plan on using cruise line provided transport.

It used to be that if you had cruise transport, that they would claim your bags at the airport and you wouldn't see them again until they were at your cabin door. but now with the new security rules, you have to claim your bags anyway.

If I am flying the day of the cruise (which I don't do anymore unless absolutely necessary) then they go on at home and then checked to make sure they stayed on after the flight.

If I am flying in early I wait and do it at the hotel before going to the ship.

MCPayne 09-10-2010 03:37 PM

Thanks Dave and Jim.

I'm flying down first thing in the morning, with a direct flight to Orlando from Newark. I'm using the cruise line transportation, and am arriving well in advance of what RCI states to be the latest arrival time.

I'll probably just do what I was going to do, and confirmed by Dave. Put the tag on before I leave home, then attach it again if it's missing.

PC GUY 09-10-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

If I am flying the day of the cruise (which I don't do anymore unless absolutely necessary) then they go on at home and then checked to make sure they stayed on after the flight.

If I am flying in early I wait and do it at the hotel before going to the ship.
I follow Jim C.'s advice as well. I usually fly down the day before ,so I will attach the tags at the hotel.

One time I flew from Toronto to Seattle via Vancouver for an Alaskan Cruise. In Canada when we have connecting flight like that, we have to pick up our bags, go through US Customs (a few Canadian airports have US Customs clearance on site) and then re deposit on the conveyor.

I did not attach the tags, and my bags were misplaced. They had to be forwarded to the first port of call. Having the tags on the luggage would make it easier to get to the ship.

Sonny V 09-12-2010 09:13 PM

Those tags are pretty tough. If you feel more comfortable putting them on before you leave home, then that's what you should do. If by some chance you arrive at the port with no tags, like I did last week because I changed cabins, the porters will put one on. I think the most important thing is to have identification on each piece of luggage other than the ship tags.

Sonny

Jim C. 09-13-2010 07:33 AM

Welcome back Sonny. Are you going to even bother unpacking? http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

MCPayne 09-13-2010 03:07 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Sonny, yes I do know that the porters can put tags on at the pier, as that is what happened on my last cruise, since I didn't order luggage tags. Enjoy your cruise coming up in just under 3 weeks! I can't wait for mine!