Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM

We are about to go on our 2nd cruise. We totally over did the packing on our first cruise. We were on Freedom and getting off was a hot, sweaty nightmare! Then we had to catch a flight home. This time on Liberty we would really like to scale down the amount of bags we take.

I was just wondering if you experienced cruisers have it figured out, like taking only 1 checked suitcase and 1 carry on, or something? Or is it better to have only carry on bags where you can do the express disembarking?

Any helpful suggestion would really be great! It is only my husband, 5 year old boy and myself. We don't go all out extravagantly dressing for the dinners, so we really want to travel light this time.

Thank you.

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Like many men, we can do three weeks with the contents of a gym bag. However, my wife and I use two of the smallest suitcases we have-one each, and one small gym bag to carry both our essentials until we get our bags in the room. Luggage that can be made flat is a huge thing, since you can then put them under your beds. Neither of us do the dress-up nights (formal)-I usually take three shirts (pull over type) and just use the cleaning service from the ship. Couple pair of shorts, comfortable shoes and flips, two bathing suits, and some casual slacks is usually enough. It'll be harder for her since she'll usually pack for the child too. Remember,kids usually hate fancy clothes-use the "KISS" principle for them-"Keep It Simple Stupid".
Good Luck!!

Need some cruise help?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM

For our long trips, I always use space bags. You can get them at Kmart/Walmart, or probably anywhere. You roll the bag up, with your clothes in it, and the air purges out a one way valve. I put my clothes, that are less wrinkly, or won't wrinkle in them. There also good for underwear, and socks that really won't be seen. I put our bathing suits in there also. Be careful though, on your suitcase weight. On a winter trip once, I was able to put several bulky sweaters in a bag, and they really condensed down in size. I have found that they work great for us. Good luck. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM

We always pack into one roll-aboard each and one smaller carry-on, into which I can put my purse as well. I find the most helpful thing is to limit the number of pairs of shoes I take. I limit it to one pair of walking shoes/sneakers, one pair of beach shoes/flip-flops, and one pair of shoes I can wear in the evening with whatever I'm dressed in that night.

Otherwise, it's mix-and-match. Keep a packing list so you don't forget anything essential, but can eyeball what's on the list to see what you should pack before entering your closet.

If you work out every day, buy those special quick-dry travel items you can wash out every day and they're dry the next day. That cuts down on the amount of work out clothing you need to pack.

Rolling shorts, tops, underwear, etc and fitting them into spaces between other things helps too. And rolled clothing doesn't wrinkle in the suitcase. Stuff your shoes with socks, hose, etc; whatever will fit.

For formal nights, I take one pair of dressy slacks and a couple of different sparkly tops.

Sandy
Old 06-11-2008, 09:31 PM

those are all great tips, thank you very much!

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 AM

It sounds like Sandy and I are a lot alike. I just went on the Liberty of the Seas. I was able to get all my clothes in one roll bag by a combination of folding, rolling, and stuffing. I never take more than three pair of shoes either. One flat, one sandals, one dress pair. Light weight clothes made with Rayon and Acetate pack well and take up little space.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 AM
We use ONE roll around duffel bag...and 2 carryons....and we still take way too many things....after 19 cruises you would think I would learn:-)...We will do much better this winter....most ships have self-service washing machines now...and if you run out of things...GO SHOPPING...Happy Cruising...

Bob E
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Last year I took 2 large suitcases & one carry on bag. I had space in the large suitcases so this year I'm still bringing 2 but I can cut down on the size. I like my clothes & shoes. The reason I bring 2 is that I am afraid the airlines might lose 1. They usually don't lose all. Last year was a close call & we had to insist that the airlines check the plane again. Well mine showed up but some were not as lucky. I also use the carry on to board the ship with and this will have the clothes for the evening just in case my largers ones don't show up in time to the cabin. I think this year I am bring a bit less but still plenty to wear. I'm just getting better at it.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-12-2008, 12:11 PM

On my first cruise my wife and I used five pieces of standard luggage (without wheels). Upon returning we not only had our luggage to contend with but also quite a few cumbersome souveniers. What a pain... That disembarking experiance was memorable for all of the wrong reasons. While disembarking I pointed out to my wife the number of (experianced?)cruisers that had rolling luggage the size of steamer trunks and we immediately agreed that they were a requirement for our next trip.
Well, I can tell you that the steamer trunk sized suitcases on wheels and two carry-ons are fantastic. It makes a tremedous differance in ease getting from one place to another without having to leave stuff at home.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM

No matter how hard I try, we still end up with two suitcases. And the snorkel gear bag full of other things too! Less than half of what is packed is ever worn on the cruise.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
liberty, seas