Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 AM

Dear Friends,

My first cruise for my wife and I. We are deciding how much we will be able to bring with us. What is the dress code for dinners? Lunch?

Our liturature states that it is OK to wear shorts for some areas. It does not specify if this holds true for meals. I tried calling the crusie line and the lines have been busy for the past few days. The telephone service that signed us up if different than the customer service folks.

Thank you very much.

Jason
Old 08-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Which cruise line/ship will you be on? The rules can be different depending on the line.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM

Hi Dave,

We are on the Royal Caribbean Line, Freedom of the Seas October 15, 2006.

J
Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 AM

Jason, you'll love Freedom of the Seas.

Dress is casual for breakfast and lunch anywhere on the ship. For dinner, there are two "formal" nights in the dining room where men will wear a suit or tux, and women wear cocktail dresses. The other nights in the dining room are informal, where the basic rule is anything but shorts. Some men wear jacket with open collar, some wear a nice shirt and slacks with no jacket. Women can wear dress, skirt or slacks.

For the dressy evenings, if you choose not to dress up, you can always go to the Windjammer, which has excellent food in a casual atmosphere.

Sandy
Old 08-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonG:
Hi Dave,

We are on the Royal Caribbean Line, Freedom of the Seas October 15, 2006.

J
Here is RCCL's official policy. The big distinction with shorts is that they are okay for the dining room at breakfast and lunch, but not okay at dinner service. Shorts are fine all the time in the Windjammer.

I did the maiden voyage of Freedom this past June. Prepare to be impressed! You will love your cruise.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:42 PM

Hi JasonG, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!
My wife and I will be on the Freedom Oct. 15th too. This cruise will be a Crown & Anchor Membership cruise. Of course you don't have to be a member, but there are a lot of special parties for members. Maybe we can meet sometime during the cruise. This will be our 30th cruise with RCCL.

You will be able to wear shorts for breakfast and lunch in the main dinning room and in the Windjammer. Shorts are not allowed for dinner in the main dinning room, Chops, and Portofino's.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
As for dressing-up: If you are not into doing it(especially during the formal evening), go up to the Windjammer Buffet (usually up on the pool deck or one of the higher decks).

When I was on my cruise aboard Royal Caribbean's [i]Sovereign of the Seas{/I], I wore nice long sleeve shirts during the regular nights with khaki trousers. On the formal night I wore my black suit and tie. I looked just like almost all the other men in the dinning room. I only noticed 3 men wearing a tux on formal night (at least on my side of the dinning room). I don't know how different Freedom will be from Sovereign, but probably not much. I know one difference is that Freedom also has real fancy alternative restaurants (in addition to the dinning rooms and Windjammer Buffet). Those real fancy alternative restaurants may also have a stricter dress code, in addition to requiring advance reservations. I don't know for sure; I never have been on the Freedom.

One thing I do know, is that if you are going to eat in the dinning room or fancy alternative restaurant, show-up on time. They run on tight schedules and really hate it when passengers show-up late.

With regard to eating. When you go on a cruise, you will have all the food you want; all the time. So try not to over-eat. I heard people gain an average of 5 lbs on their cruise.

One thing you shouldn't miss is the "Midnight Buffet"
A.k.a.: "Midnight Chocolate Lovers Buffet"
A.k.a.: "Midnight Dessert Buffet"
A.k.a.: "Midnight Buffet Gala"
That will be one place you should definetly control your eating, but it will be hard to do! Make sure you bring your camera to capture the beautiful sculputers made of ice, sugar, watermelon, and chocolate; and let's not forget: the beautifully presented desserts and food.

I wish I could take a cruise onboard the Freedom. You and your wife are lucky to do so. The Freedom is the biggest cruise ship in the world. It is more than 3 times the size that the Titanic was (by gross tonnage). I heard that it is such an expierience, that the island destinations are secondary; you could always stay onboard and have a great time.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:23 PM

I dressed in nice jeans and a nice shirt. We did dress up on one formal night but didn't the 2nd and just went to the buffet. I wasn't aware that we should notifiy the wait staff however. We will do this on future cruises so not to inconvenience the waiter/waitress
Old 08-28-2006, 02:15 AM

Sandy,

I have vowed to myself to never comment on this subject again.

But your post was the best I have seen regarding the subject.

IslandCruz
Old 08-28-2006, 06:15 AM

Thanks, Island!

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, casual, code, cruise, dress, dressing, dressy, forum, freedom, lunch, meals, people, royal, seas, ship, tie