Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:29 AM

Now I know that there are many of you who enjoy formal nights, but with so many cruise ships going to Alaska it would be nice to see the cruise lines take half of their ships and make it cassual through out the cruise. Meaning no Jckets or ties for men in the dining room. Cruise West does it but they are quite costly.
This is just my thoughts and the cruise lines get many of these requests.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:29 AM

Now I know that there are many of you who enjoy formal nights, but with so many cruise ships going to Alaska it would be nice to see the cruise lines take half of their ships and make it cassual through out the cruise. Meaning no Jckets or ties for men in the dining room. Cruise West does it but they are quite costly.
This is just my thoughts and the cruise lines get many of these requests.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 AM

gatorgirl,

I have moved the thread to the General Cruise Chat area, as it doesn't really discuess Alaskan ports.

But certainly, there are more lines than just Cruise West that offer casual cruises, e.g. Norwegian Cruise Line.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 04-17-2006, 08:38 AM

Sorry Gatorgirl
I disagree, I am one of those that love formal nights and even though my husband asks every time "do I have to wear a tie" at the end of the night he is glad he dressed up too. Dressing up makes it special.
Some people don't like the formal night I understand that but for them the Lido Deck is always an option.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:12 AM

I too enjoy dressing for dinner, but there is always the buffet if you don't want to. Most cruise ships offer a pizzeria type restaurant as well. I personally hope they keep the dining rooms dressy it is one of the things I look forward to since I don't see my husband in anything but jeans and t-shirts or sweats throughout the year. Just my opinion.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator

I take it a step further as I love to dress formally throughout the whole evening, not just for dinner.

As Raoul mentioned, NCL offers a more casual environment. Note, however, that there are still limits, such as no jeans in the dining rooms for dinner.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:28 AM

If you have nice clothes and they fit you well, then why not look spiffy for a few nights. I think a person who dresses nicely feels good about themself and they enjoy the evening more, especially if the husband and wife look nice together. Dressing up is a way to treat yourself to special times together and they will bring lasting memories. Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:52 AM

I did mention in my original post that there are many of you who like formal nights. I enjoy them once in awhile as well, I was just speaking of Alaska Cruises and taking some ships and making them casual for Alaska. I realize there are buffets, which do not offer the same thing as the dining rooms. I too have been on many cruises about 20 so I do know the drill.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:08 AM

We enjoy dressing up for formal nights. I believe it was on a Norwegian cruise where they had one of the 3 main diningrooms designated as formal. Anyone not wishing to be dressed formally had the choice of two other similar diningrooms; however, a couple not in formal wear proceeded to argue with the Maitre d'hotel insisting they wanted to eat in the formal diningroom. Eventually he gave in. Everyone else in the diningroom was dressed mostly in long gowns and some tuxedos and/or dark suits. There was no need to eat at the buffet as the other 2 main diningrooms (just as lovely) were open for those not wishing to be formal.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM

I guess I just donít understand your question. I have been on two Alaskan cruises. I really donít see the difference between having an altered dress code for an Alaskan cruise as opposed to any other destination. I loved formal night just as much on my Alaskan cruises as I did on the Baltic, Mediterranean, or Caribbean ones that I have been on. And the only time I have ever seen a man wear a coat and tie on any of my cruises were at formal night. Unfortunately, if you give people an inch they are going to take a mile. If the dress code is relaxed for an Alaskan cruises, then why not shorts in the dinning room for a Caribbean one.

Closed Thread