Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 05:08 AM

We are travelling down from Canada in Dec for a cruise out of Pt Canaveral, (so plan says) and I see Amtrak has an Auto train from Washington DC to Orlando FL, or there abouts . Travels non stop overover night and may save me 2 days each way and some extra maotel nights. Have any of you had anything to with this service? thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:08 AM

We are travelling down from Canada in Dec for a cruise out of Pt Canaveral, (so plan says) and I see Amtrak has an Auto train from Washington DC to Orlando FL, or there abouts . Travels non stop overover night and may save me 2 days each way and some extra maotel nights. Have any of you had anything to with this service? thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Banned

Hi Tony -

We took the Auto Train from Lorton, Virginia (about 15 miles south of DC) to Sanford, Florida (a few miles north of Orlando) and back, several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

The cars are stored in separate enclosed car carrier cars that are attached to the end of the train.

Passengers have a choice of coach seating or roomettes.

The train leaves in the late afternoon - around 4 p.m. I believe, and arrives at the destination fairly early the next morning - around 7 or 8 a.m. I think.

There is a bar car with movies on video screens and a full assortment of drinks.

Dinner is included in the fare (at least for roomette passengers - not sure about coach). There is a nice selection of three or four entrees (including filet mignon) and unlimited wine is included.

There is also a continental breakfast served the next morning.

If you go during daylight savings time you get four or five daylight hours to enjoy the scenery. We went at Christmas time and it was nice seeing all the decorated houses along the way.

I highly recommend the Auto Train, although it is a litttle pricy - well over $1,000 (round trip for two people in a roomette and the car).
Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM

Thanks for help, with 2 kids thought it may be nice to cut 2 days out both ways off road trip from our place and with gas, meals and motels over those days the cost is pretty equal. glad you enjoyed, I think we will give it a try. THANKS AGAIN

Closed Thread

Tags
amtrak, auto, autotrain, canaveral, coach, cruise, i95, orlando, port, review, reviews, save, train, virgina, ways