Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 07:13 PM

I know this topic has been raised on numerous occasions so it could get boring and I apologize for that.
Living in a part of the world where tipping is not mandatory it is somewhat difficult to get my head round what amount to tip. I have just read a report on another site about two Australian girls who were abused by a taxi driver in Las Vegas for not giving a big enough tip on a $7.00 ride. At my age, this hassle I can do without! I have nothing against tipping if this is the norm for the country I am visiting, but how much?
Can I ask some questions?
We are visiting Las Vegas before we leave for England and then onto Rome to join the cruise.
1. whilst in Vegas what would one normally tip for a taxi ride costing between $8 - $10.
2. When in a bar what amount would you tip and would you tip for each order or at the end of evenings drinking?
3. Any other tips on tipping whilst we are on the cruise Carnival Freedom and how much on average would one tip for say room service?
Thanks
Peter
Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 PM

Cant really say about the taxi other than they had a jerk for a driver. Tipping is usually 15%, at least that is what I do. On the ship they usually do $10 per day and that is split up between the entire crew. If we have an exceptional room steward, then we usually tip him extra. As far as room service, that is up to you but usually that comes out of the $10 per day the ship will take anyway.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Room service tip is NOT usually included in the $10 pd so if you order a meal maybe $2-5. if just a light snack $1-2. at the time of delivery.

Taxis... I am not sure but usually 10%

enjoy your trip
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 AM

Taxi drivers are a variable bunch, most being reasonable, but a few being rather demanding. No hard & fast rule as to tip amount or percentage for taxi rides. If the driver goes out of his way to be helpful, hefts your luggage for you, provides interesting commentary on the sights, etc., then I'd tip him $5 or so; if not, then less.

Tips onboard at the bars will be automatically added to the bar bill. If you get extraordinary service from a particular bartender, then tip him individually near the end of the cruise. LHT28 is right, room service tips are not included in the daily gratuity figure; I usually tip $2-5, depending on what they are bringing, if they come on time, etc.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:38 AM

1. Couple of bucks.

2. Couple of bucks.

3. Couple of bucks.

If a bartender of waitress has been serving you drinks all night, that's a different story. I don't know how many people you are talking about, either. In a bar I would say to leave 20%. In New York State the tax rate is 8%, so I just double the tax (easy to see on the bill) and add... a couple of bucks.

Bring 100 one dollar bills with you. Take a bunch of them with you when you go anywhere. Then you have a few dollars handy any time you need to tip and you don't have to worry about getting the right amount of change back to leave a tip.

Just to be on the safe side, I would tip at least two dollars any time. Guy who takes your bags at the hotel... room service person... bartender after one round... taxi driver (I tip them in cruise ports as well)...

I tip bar personnel as I go along on a cruise. Why tip them at the end- it won't result in better service during the cruise (my theory).

In Vegas, don't forget that if you are playing the slots or going any "real" gambling you will be drinking for free. Be sure to tip the girls that "few bucks" and they will be much more available to you. Don't tip and you will have to hunt them down.

You will love Vegas. Just bring VERY comfortable shoes. Try the buffet at Wynn Las Vegas. UNBELIEVABLE.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 AM

I agree about the Wynn Las Vegas buffet. Expensive, but not for what you're getting. The food was the best quality buffet food I've ever had.

We had the breakfast buffet at the Paris Las Vegas hotel last time, which was amazing, too. We'll probably try dinner there next time around...

Sandy
Old 11-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Carlaleana1 Does exactly what I do when Tipping took the words right out of my Keyboard.
as well as other post's you sure your married?

this is the only thing that cracks me upwhen people are asking or letting people know what to bring or wear

Quote:
Just bring VERY comfortable shoes.
Who would evven own or want to wear uncomfortable shoes?
Just an observation get's me everytime

Me
Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM

From what I have researched, the word TIPS is an old acronym for the phrase: To Insure Prompt Service.

It doesn't seem to matter what we think it means because the success of tipping matters greatly according to what the service person's concept is. And at the risk of changing the service community at large on their concept on the meaning of tipping, Do what it takes to get results.

If tipping is only a reward, merely average service would not merit a tip of any size. But tipping is a significant part of their income, so a small tip could indicate a polite, "thank you", when even average service is rendered.

If tipping is to encourage someone to deliver excellent service, (above what is expected) then there is incentive for the service personnel to excel. So, tipping in advance of service is certainly reasonable and may serve to say, “You scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.” What is the goal, if not to assure that you will be looked after. It is not that they are simply wanting to know that you approve of their work, our children, our spouses look for approval. It is performance, and income based on performance that they are after.

One thing for sure is that for me, the subject of tipping can not be reduced simply to satisfy a need to feel part of a global economy and show how sensitive we are to people who work below minimum wage. Nor is it my opportunity to set the world right on the subject. I wonder if some people tip just so people would like them or not disapprove of them? Results is what we are after, not to set the social-economic world aright.

I give the vending machine some change and it hands me a candy bar. What a concept!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 PM

Sooo for a family of 4 on a seven day cruise the total would be $280+ bar and roomservice for tips? Geez..got to get my funds together.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KatinkaClementsmith:
Sooo for a family of 4 on a seven day cruise the total would be $280+ bar and roomservice for tips? Geez..got to get my funds together.
NOT GENERALLY

depends to the age of your kids and which company you are cruising with.

E.g. NCL requires 5 USD/day for kids between 3 and 12 while adults are paying 10 USD/day.

Regards,
HeinBloed

Closed Thread

Tags
bar, costa, cruise, cruises, job, marina, oceania, recommendations, room, service, tipping, underpaid