Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   General Cruise Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/)
-   -   Gluten-free and lactose-free (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/general-cruise-chat/26394-gluten-free-lactose-free.html)

Dyxiegirl 11-04-2010 01:34 PM

I just wanted to let people out there know about my experience (so far) about cruising gluten-free and lactose-free.
We are cruising on the Ruby Princess over Christmas, and according to the cruise personalizer on Princess' website, I needed to fax a letter to their corporate people about lactose and gluten requirements. I did that a couple of weeks ago and got a response today. They could not be more helpful. They are bringing on board for him breads, cookies, crackers, cereal, and pasta that are gluten free for him. He is to meet with the maitre de hotel every day to plan his meals for the next day. They will even make special food for him if he plans to attend any eat-in parties in the kid rooms.
Because of his very unusual diet restrictions, we are bringing some food with us, but they have already approved everything to be brought on board (customs issue).
I will let you know how it went when we get back, but we are so excited to be able to travel with his restrictions!

f-mattox 11-04-2010 03:46 PM

That is very nice to hear. It has been my observation over the years that Princess does everything in its power to accomodate people with special needs. I was thrilled on a recent 14 day cruise on Golden Princess to see a blind couple, each with their own service dog, negotiating their way all around the ship.

LHT28 11-04-2010 08:15 PM

Most cruise lines will do the same.
You MUST tell them well in advance about the special needs and not wait until you board the ship.
They will make sure they have enough gluten free lactose free foods or whatever the food allergy is for the passenger

Oedi 01-24-2011 02:29 PM

I am having a different experience with Princess over my son's allergy (Milk). When I booked the cruise they sound much like you explain however when I sent my fax in I got a letter back with a different story. Basically there is a good chance my son will have nothing to eat while on the cruise and other then bring in rice milk they do not sound willing to do anything else. I am interest to hear how your cruise went as right now I am very worried about what he is going to eat in a month from now.

Also how did you get them to approve food this was not an option they gave us.

LHT28 01-24-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oedi (Post 284879)
I am having a different experience with Princess over my son's allergy (Milk). When I booked the cruise they sound much like you explain however when I sent my fax in I got a letter back with a different story. Basically there is a good chance my son will have nothing to eat while on the cruise and other then bring in rice milk they do not sound willing to do anything else. I am interest to hear how your cruise went as right now I am very worried about what he is going to eat in a month from now.

Also how did you get them to approve food this was not an option they gave us.

There are lots of things without milk as an ingredient
What does he eat at home?

When you board ask to talk with the chef

Oedi 01-25-2011 07:05 PM

Tons of stuff and i am sure if nothing else he will be eating burgers or steak all week we will work something out it. Also we eat out at resurants all the time and always have something to eat. My point was i did not get the good response from head office the other poster got. In the letter i got stuff like

"It will be at his discretion to order meals allowable, however, the Maitre d’ Hotel will be happy to assist him with making selections from the standard menu that would be suitable."

rather then something like "if there is nothing on the standard menu he can eat we will work something out" that i guess i was hoping for that we have gotten elsewhere like disney.

In any case as soon as i get onboard i will talk to the Maitre d’ Hotel and work out a plan for the week.

Oedi 02-21-2011 05:50 AM

Just a quick followup as i am now back from the trip and while on board they were great the head waitress (Oana) looked after us and i think he eat better then the rest of us.

Just want to add to this post to say while on board food was not a problem and they took care of us very well.

Sandy 02-21-2011 05:53 AM

I'm glad to hear they were able to accommodate the special diet. I hope you enjoyed the whole cruise.

Todd41 03-31-2011 09:21 AM

My family was on Liberty of the Seas (RCI) last June. The wait and kitchen staff went way out of their way to help my mother with her gluten-free diet. She was very happy with the variety provided and the taste of the food.

Cudos to RCI!