Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM

This is a general question I've not seen elsewhere.

What is the best book you've found time to read while cruising recently?

Was is borrowed from a ship's library or brought from home?

Signed by someone who's looking forward to some great reading time.

Ruth
Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM

This is a general question I've not seen elsewhere.

What is the best book you've found time to read while cruising recently?

Was is borrowed from a ship's library or brought from home?

Signed by someone who's looking forward to some great reading time.

Ruth
Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM

I realize I should have mentioned one of my favourites which was actually picked up as a trade on Infinity.

It's Mr. Emerson's Wife by Amy Belding Brown. It's a fine piece of historical fiction with Lydia Emerson as the centre of the tale.

Happy reading....
Old 10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Ruth, several years ago on a Norwegian Majesty cruise to Bermuda, I discovered a series of wonderful window seats, and decided that would be a perfect reading location. I decided that as we were in the middle of the vast ocean, I would read something that would truly take me away. So, I went to the ship's library and borrowed "Jane Eyre." I hadn't read it since high school, nearly 30 years earlier.

I managed to get a bit beyond halfway in my reading. So, at the end of the cruise, I returned the book to the library, ribbon in the place I had left off, and made a mental note to check out the book at my local library so that I could pick up on the story of Jane and Mr. Rochester.

Once home, real life took over, and I completely forgot about my plans.

The following year, I returned to Norwegian Majesty, and was determined to finish the novel. I went to the library, found the book, and the ribbon was in exactly the place I had left it!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:50 PM

LisaP - Neat story!

I do quite a bit of reading. I majored in English in college, and, as a result, have quite an affinity for classic literature. I also have my "guilty pleasure" reading, though, and that's what I enjoy most when cruising. (I took Atlas Shrugged on one of my first cruises and quickly realized that I don't enjoy that kind of "heavy" reading when I'm on vacation.)

I've found that I love reading Maeve Binchy when I'm cruising. It's light reading, and her novels absolutely sweep me away. The only bad part is that they are sometimes hard to put down! I've read almost all of her books at this point, though. I'm setting sail in a little over a week and I'm taking two new guilty pleasure reads: "Little Earthquakes" by Jennifer Weiner and "One For the Money" by Janet Evanovich. I also just picked up "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe, but I think I'm going to save that one for after I return from my cruise.

I have a tendency to beat up my books, so I always buy my own before hand and don't use the ship's library.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 PM

You should get several of the Evanovich books. Once you read the first, you will be hooked! Those are some of my favorite novels. Actually, I don't think the first one is as good as the rest. They just keep getting better though. I can't wait for the next one (only 8 more months before it is released).
Old 10-04-2007, 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by asmj:
You should get several of the Evanovich books. Once you read the first, you will be hooked!

I've heard this from so many people! I worked at Borders several years ago and folks would rave on and on about that series. It took me a while, but I'm finally gonna check 'em out.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 AM

Thanks for some suggestions fellow cruisers. I'll check them out for our next cruise. I've read most of the Maeve Binchy books but Evanovich is new to me. The only problem with the Binchy books is that they're such fast reads, they don't last long.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 AM

Titanic?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Sure, why not something on Titanic? Several years ago, while on a cruise to Halifax, I read Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember," (considered by many to be the best book on the subject). I've also read several books on liner history during a cruise or crossing. Something about the setting, I suppose.

Closed Thread

Tags
book, books, carribbean, cruise, cruising, emersons, fun, long, mr, novels, read, reads, review, ship, wife