Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 03:50 AM

Tom just posted a message regarding RC's new Ultra-Voyager class ships on the RC Forum. Although the trend seems to be for the cruise lines to top each other by earning bragging rights for the "Largest ship afloat", but I am wondering what all the cruisers think. Do you like these new huge ships, or do you prefer a smaller vessel? Would love to hear opinions (and share your reasons).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-19-2004, 03:50 AM

Tom just posted a message regarding RC's new Ultra-Voyager class ships on the RC Forum. Although the trend seems to be for the cruise lines to top each other by earning bragging rights for the "Largest ship afloat", but I am wondering what all the cruisers think. Do you like these new huge ships, or do you prefer a smaller vessel? Would love to hear opinions (and share your reasons).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-19-2004, 07:06 AM

Each has its advantages. The mega-ships offer a vast array of choices, from dining options to activities, and of course they have a certain "wow" factor that's impossible to ignore. However, the smaller ships have a more intimate feel to them. For traditionalists, people who enjoy quieter pursuits (such as curling up with a book in a quiet corner somewhere), and people who hate crowds (that's my husband!), the smaller the better.

If what appeals to someone about a cruise is the ship experience, then I usually advise to go for a larger, newer one, but if they are looking for a chance to explore a part of the world that is new or especially precious to them, then I would recommend a small ship. Our small ship cruise (under 100 passengers) to Alaska was a fantastic experience, and as far as I'm concerned, by far the best way to cruise in that incredible place!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:26 AM

I think Karen nailed it. It's all good. In my opinion, for families, family reunions, other types of reunions, the larger the better.

My personal preference is for a smaller ship, only because I love the feel of the ocean and like it when a ship moves around a bit. The mega ships just don't get the motion, which is a good thing if you don't like it...VBG.

Tom
Old 08-19-2004, 11:43 AM

Well, just like the others I find they both have their advantages. After a few cruises under my belt, I tend to like a smaller ship for the intimacy and ambiance for myself or when traveling with my mother. But, when I travel with friends who are new to cruising, I love the larger ships as they are so worried about things to do, boredom, feeling closed in. The big ships help me lure them into the world of cruising.
Suzi
Old 08-31-2004, 09:56 AM

I've never been on anything OTHER than voyager class ships...but i'm booked on rccl's empress of the seas in januray.....that'll be quite a shocker. I'll certainly know the differences between big and small then.

On a side note...you do get a sense of pride when you sail into a crowded port and your stateroom is higher than the top deck of some of the ships in the harbor, or you are on a shore trip and you overhear somebody say "did you see the SIZE of that ship parked next to us?"

You just think to yourself.....ohhhhyeaaahhhh! (and give your wife a high five)

also, I like to have plenty to do. I usually am quite active while on a cruise. The larger ships offer much more activities on sea days, or if the weather is bad, you can always go ice skating!

Too Long!

Click here for my website
Old 08-31-2004, 11:25 AM
My husband and I are sailing the Norwegian Wind next week. At 1800 passengers, it will be the largest and most populated ship we've been on. We have sailed HAL and Carnival, 1300 - 1500 passengers. We really liked the intimacy and ability to find quiet spaces on these smaller ships - not a lot of waiting, no crushing crowds. I don't know that we would want to go on a MEGA ship - what does one do with all of those people around???
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 PM

really, the only time you notive the amount of people is right after the early dinner, before the late seating....because everybody is trying to move in and out of the same space. Sometimes the lines for professional pictures can be rather long....but Really, you don't notice it as much as youd think..because the size and number of the public areas on these ships has been increased in direct proportion to the number of staterooms. This is especially true on the RCCl voyager class, what with the enormous center "prominade" which can hold what seems like the entire ship's population during the parades that they have at night.

Too Long!

Click here for my website
Old 09-20-2004, 10:43 PM

Ok I'm going to throw in a wrench sort of about big ships...I sell alot of mega ships and people love them...I've been on them and personally they are beautiful and marvels. However I personally like smaller ships as I believe you get better service and the food tends to be much better...and no hordes of kids. Its nice not to have to hunt for a choice lounge chair etc. Plus its nice that the crew remember who you are and call you by your name. Its those little things that stand out when you get home. Just a thought.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:49 PM

You can see my post in response to Ivan in the Contoversial topic, but I have to chime in here also. My first cruise was such a disappointment due to all the factors he mentioned, and that was primarily due to size. And this ship wasn't even a mega ship! For my and my husband, less is more, small is better.......I hate crowds, and I like personalized attention. I also dislike assigned seating and times. It seems as though the larger the ship, the more regimented they need to be accommodate all those people!

Perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon in my old age, but I could not cope with crowds at this point in my life. I do like experiencing interesting ports on a cruise, however, so for me - its going to be Radisson or Silver Sea. Period. I tried Oceania, which is a smaller ship, but it still does not compare to Rad or SS.

Speaking of a group, I am a part of a group of 8 women who are cruising on SS in Dec in the Carrib. - most of us have never met, and we are really looking forward to being pampered on SS!

Glenda

Closed Thread