Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 08:14 AM

We are leaving on our first cruise on Dec. 4th. My husband has had Vertigo twice before (unrelated to travel). I really, really don't want him to get ill on this trip because he's been resisting a cruise vacation for years.

I had planned on getting him some of those motion sickness patches to be used preventatively. However, I was just reading some reviews online that indicate there can be serious side effects to the patch. Now I'm wondering if my husband would be better off just using an OTC medication like Bonine instead of the patch.

I'm more confused than ever and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

thanks for any insight you can provide!

pisces
Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas
Dec. 4-11
Old 11-24-2004, 08:14 AM

We are leaving on our first cruise on Dec. 4th. My husband has had Vertigo twice before (unrelated to travel). I really, really don't want him to get ill on this trip because he's been resisting a cruise vacation for years.

I had planned on getting him some of those motion sickness patches to be used preventatively. However, I was just reading some reviews online that indicate there can be serious side effects to the patch. Now I'm wondering if my husband would be better off just using an OTC medication like Bonine instead of the patch.

I'm more confused than ever and I don't want to make the wrong choice.

thanks for any insight you can provide!

pisces
Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas
Dec. 4-11
Old 11-24-2004, 09:33 PM

I have done 20+ cruises and I'm the type that gets motion sickness playing video games and I've had very good success with Bonine. It doesn't cause drowsiness and I've sailed through tropical storms with no motion sickeness. I tried the patch once and lasted only 2 days with it. One of the biggest drawbacks of it is incredible dry mouth... it got to the point that it was miserable so I went back to the bonine.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Thanks for your reply Booboo. I picked up some Bonine over the weekend. Do you usually start your trip taking the Bonine just before sailing, or do you only take it "as needed"?

thanks,
pisces
Old 12-01-2004, 12:41 PM

Either way. If your husband has vertigo, I might think it would be good if he started it a few hours before boarding the ship, and continue it throughout the cruise. He only needs to take it once a day, and should try the lower regular dose (one pill) first, going up to two pills if needed. Hope all goes well and you both have a wonderful time!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:42 AM

I also take the Bonine before I leave. I take it when I fly because I get migraines from flying.... so I'm ready before I board ship. Plus, with any motion sickness medication ... if you're already sick any of the pills won't help. Just an FYI... if for some reason he does get very motion sick (which shouldn't happen) the ships infirmary does have a shot for motion sickness that does work after the motion sickness has set in. Hope you have a good trip
Old 12-02-2004, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I can't believe we leave in one day! I'm packing for 5 so the task is a bit overwhelming right now.

bon voyage!

Closed Thread

Tags
apply, board, bonine, cruise, days, flying, good, motion, patch, purpose, seasickness, ship, sickness, taking, transderm