Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2002, 02:47 PM

Since I have never been on a cruise, I'm curious to know about sea sickness. I've heard from people who never get sick to some that felt nauseous the whole time.

Any good preventative measures? EVer hear of those motion sickness bracelets? What should I take if I feel sick? Any advice would be helpful. This is my only fear about a cruise!
Old 08-21-2002, 02:47 PM

Since I have never been on a cruise, I'm curious to know about sea sickness. I've heard from people who never get sick to some that felt nauseous the whole time.

Any good preventative measures? EVer hear of those motion sickness bracelets? What should I take if I feel sick? Any advice would be helpful. This is my only fear about a cruise!
Old 08-21-2002, 04:04 PM

As I just booked my first cruise, I would be interested in this information also. I was told since I was going on the Navigator of the Seas that it was so large I probably won't even know I am moving. True? (I hope)
Old 08-21-2002, 04:25 PM

There are several things that people do to prevent motion sickness. Many people do use the wrist bands and swear by them. Some people take ginger and this keeps them from getting sick. There also is dramamine or bonine. Dramamine can make you drousy bonine does not make you drousy. If you try these make sure you get the one you want. Some people also get a persciption for the patch. The patch can have side effects especially if you have high blood pressure.

As far as feeling the movement on the ship, it is true that much of the time you will not feel the movement of the large cruise ships. If they are in heavy seas, even the largest ships using the stabilizers will cause you to feel some motion.

I personally get motion sickness easily but I have never been sick on a cruise ship. There has been times in rough waters that I have used bonine and it has always worked for me. I usually take the bonine if I feel we are in for rough seas otherwise I do not bother.

I believe you will be surprised at how smooth a cruise really is.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 05:27 PM

I second PEB's response. I also am very susceptible to motion sickness but have never been sick on a cruise for the same reasons - if the water is relatively calm I have barely felt any motion, and if it is rough I have taken Bonine with great results. It doesn't make you sleepy, and takes away that "seasick" feeling. I tried the wristbands and they were not effective for me, but have been for friends who are not quite as sensitive to motion as I am. It should be available over the counter (I buy mine at Walgreens but it should be available at most drugstores.) Dramamine makes a "non-drowsy" formula that seems to be the same medication as Bonine; I have also seen generic or store-brand versions. As PEB said, read the label and make sure you don't get regular Dramamine - it works, but will knock you out enough you'll be too drowsy to enjoy your experience.
Karen

Closed Thread

Tags
cruz, hbp, motion, patch, people, sea, ship, sick, sickness, theyre, time, wear