Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 12:21 PM

I am relatively inexperienced with cruises so wonder if anyone can offer guidance on these questions:
1) Can I expect any additional mid/late December (07) cruises to be added to cruiseline itineraries over the coming months, or is what's currently posted it...is this all there is?

2) Princess isn't offering its holiday cruise leaving from San Francisco this year and I haven't found another cruise to replace it. The wonder of taking a cab down to the port and hopping onto a wonderful 11 day vacation was perfect for me and my disabled Mother this year. Does anyone have inside information about other cruise lines that may step in to the gap Princess is leaving?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
It's a mystery to me also; you would think a beautiful, tourist-friendly city like San Francisco would have lots more cruise lines with sailings from it's picturesque bay.
I guess not enough people feel the same as you
One complaint I have seen repeated here several times is that it's a rather long and sometimes rough trip to the Mexican Riviera. And a lot of cruisers like more port days and fewer sea days; personally, I'm just the opposite.
One thing you might look into if flying is a problem for your mother is San Diego. It is really starting to open up as an embarcation point; and the train depot is very near the cruise terminal. Or even Seattle.
There are even some very interesting small ship itineraries from San Francisco into the wine country.
But we'll just hope someone jumps in to fill the void left by Princess.
I'm sure you'll find a suitable cruise vacation.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:38 AM

Thanks F-Mattox,
...I like your suggestion of San Diego as an alternative and will check it out. Are cruiselines apt to add trips in this calendar year, or should I expect the cruise schedules to pretty much stay as-is?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Most brochures I have extend into mid-2008 so I wouldn't expect many changes from what is now published.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 AM

OK, good to know. I'll work with what's there (or here!). Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Hello,

I agree that San Francisco has many advantages as a port city. However, the people who operate the cruise lines must have their business reasons for not featuring this great city.

Having sailed out of and into the Port of San Diego several times I can tell all that this is a wonderful port city. Southwest Airlines has many flights to San Diego from Oakland and the San Diego airport is at best 20 minutes from the San Diego cruise ship terminal. There is lodging in all price ranges within a reasonable distance of the cruise terminal, with lots of restaurants and interesting things to do.

Hope that this helps.

Fred
Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks Fred. That's two votes for San Diego. I'm checking it out!

Closed Thread