Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 PM

Hey everyone i really need your help...please. i am a native of Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands the locatioin of Carnival's newest port in the caribbean. I want to start a business but i want to offer something different /or something worth my time to invest. I was thinking of jet ski rentals..but i know there are gonna be at least two other companies, so if i do this i am thinking of offering tours instead of regular rentals. Also i can offer a aqua park similiar to COCO cay which i think is a good idea..i have seen electric floating lounge chairs, aqua cycles etc which are also good idea i think. If anyone can help me with any ides i would greatly appreciate it.

I am a recent college graduate so i dont have unlimited funds to invest .. i am godd start off kinda small then grow.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM

One thing to consider would be to offer a tour to some of the places that make your island really special. As a resident, you might know some places that are not commonly visited by the other tour companies but which locals really enjoy. These could be nature, culture, entertainment, food or other aspects of the island. Something of a more personal touch. Of course you will need to advertise, but if you have a website or even a blog, you may be able to get some interest that way.

The Aqua Park sounds interesting too, and may generate some good customer numbers.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 PM

Are you thinking of trying to offer something that cruiselines pick up as an excursion?

I agree with Karen that some beautiful place of interest would be great. Some of the cruiselines don't like jet ski rentals because of the danger, although I love them.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 03-02-2006, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the advice Karen, I was thinking about that same thing offering tours or what have you, but the island is so small 7 miles by 2 miles wide and most of the historical site where snatched up by carnival immediately thats why i was consentrating on activities. My country is very well known for its snorkeling, but that also is taken by the local dive operators.

A few of my ideas where to:
1.Get 5 jet skis to start and offer tours on the eastside of the island because jet ski's are not allowed on the west side "which has the best views" but the eastside has views of neighbouring islands. And maybe stop at one of the inhabited islands with a snorkeling stop .. or maybe a race through boey's etc. Or maybe only offer hourly rentals.

2. An Aqua Park filled with floating structures i.e lounge chairs, aqua bikes, floating mats, floating rock climbing wall, trampoline etc and have a set price for the day to use the aqua park and seperate fee's for the aqua bikes.. and electric floating lounge chairs.

3. Have a ATV tour that shows people the historical site close up.. and also include a stop on a beach for snorkeling and some of the best fried chicken in the islands.

4.Or glass bottom rentals..since Carnival has that covered also..

sorry to bother again.. just trying to capitalize new development in my country.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 AM

I think those ideas sound great!
Several years ago in Cancun we went on a "Jungle Tour" on jet ski's. We went thru a "jungle" which opened up to an awesome snorkeling spot. We spent about an hour snorkeling then on the way back we took a different route and the tour guide let us cut loose on the jet skis. It was awesome!!! We talk more about that than anything else we did in Cancun. Just an idea for you.
We will be in Grand Turk in May! Any ideas for us to do while there? Your island looks absolutely beautiful from the pictures I have seen.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:32 AM

I like your ideas too, especially #'s 2 and 3. Again, I wish you the best in getting started, and hope your enterprise works out really well for you!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:38 AM

I would suggest you look on the web for a guy called "Mazatlan Frank". He has a web site and runs private tours in Mazatalan Mexico. People speak very highly of the tours he offers. You can get some good ideas by looking at what he offers.

By running your own tours and directing them yourself, you could quickly build up a quality reputation and keep yourself very busy with customers from the cruise ships. As others have mentioned, we really do want to learn about what is unique and special about your island. We also enjoy meeting the local people and learning about how they live and work.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Thanks chasekenslee for the input and the comment about "GT" as we call it.

My country is very beautiful i must say.. small and very tranquil which apeals to alot of people who just wanna get away. The island is small like i mentioned, but there are a few things that u can do i.e; if you enjoy history visit the national museum the lighthouse, The old Prison and Victoria library, i guess the tour would be somehing like the bus tour. If you like the water govener's beach is very nice. If i had to choose i would go snorkeling and Gibb's Cay swim with stingray's. And hey if my business is p and running you can come on a waverunner tour with me around the islands and to one of the neighbouring islands :-). Hope you enjoy your trip.

P.S. if you guys have any other business idea's please let me know :-)
Old 03-03-2006, 08:04 AM

Hello again enzo. I am always up for a jet ski tour. We leave May 13th so if your business is up and running be sure to let the board know and we just might have to check you out while in "GT". I'm sure you will give us a discount if we promise to give you a full review on the board!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 PM

Great question ... I would agree with the local tour aspect. Work with your local tourism board and from your own knowledge to determine what some highlights might be. I, for one, love booking local tours vs. cruiseship tours as they are normally more interesting, less expensive and less crowded. Another good tour guide to mirror is Mandoo from Grenada, just google him to see his site. Lots of pictures and he outlines the tours really well. Once you get a reputation going (message boards like this one are a way lots of us get our info), you'll find you are often booked, and in advance.

Normally a land tour with a beach stop is an ideal local tour (like you just mentionned above). Your costs would then be limited to vehicle purchase and maintenance.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
2012, caicos, caribbean, grand, islands, march, museum, national, princess, tci, turk, turks