Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Hi, My husand and I took a 4 night cruise on RCL (Majesty of the Sea) and loved it and now we are looking to book another cruise about 7 nights out of Ft. Lauderdale in March. We are cancelling our plans to stay at a hotel in Florida for two weeks and decided to take a cruise instead. Our most important priorities are good food, workout facilities, entertainment shows, and also a stable ship. We are not very fussy people. We are in our early 50s. We loved our cruise, but I have nothing to compare it too. I don't think Carnival would be for us, but what about Princess and Celebrity? We are looking at the Jewel of the Sea or Radiance of the Sea if we chose RCL. Is it good to go for different lines for varity when cruising or is it recommended to stay on the same line if you enjoyed it? Or is all the food on every ship in the same line the same? Is a balcony room worth the extra money? Thanks for any input. Pam
Old 12-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Pam,
I am in my 50's and I enjoy all the cruise lines. Most cruise lines have hired a celebrity chef to design their menus. So if you stay with the same line you will most likely see similarity with the menu on each of their ships. Ofcourse there will be variations.
I find the food on all the cruise lines good. I do see a difference in entertainment. Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, and RCI all have excellent entertainment. You might want to find a cruise oriented Travel Agent that can match you up to which line best suits your personality and your expectations.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Hello Pamela1139,
and welcome to cruise-chat. You ask some very important questions and you will get quite a variety of replies. But I'll get the ball rolling with a few thoughts.
If you enjoyed your first cruise and it fulfilled your priorities, why switch? Stick with what you like until you feel the need to try something else. I'm a long-time Princess fan, but I sure would not try to coax somebody from a line they were happy with. How could I say to you, "try Princess--I know you'll like it better", when I've never cruised RCCL. I would stick with RCCL until you either become dissatisfied, or until you become curious about some other line. You will find people here that will give you pros and cons on EVERY cruise line. Neither approach is really recommended: that is, trying different lines or staying with one; it's whatever feels right to YOU.
I think most experienced cruisers will tell you that all ships in the same line are not the same, be it food, service,cleanliness, or whatever. Each ship under the same banner has a unique and distinct personality--even identical twin ships. But if you're
happy with one ship in a fleet, you will probably like the rest also.
And finally, yes, balcony cabins ARE worth the extra money. Being able to have a continental breakfast or a sunset cocktail on you own balcony is absolutely priceless; not to mention the fresh sea air in your cabin.
Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, as I'm sure you will, just ask. We all love to talk about cruising.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 AM

Oh, thank you so much for your suggestions. They all make sense. I just wanted to make sure that this new cruise was a little different and not just an extension of my other cruise. Thank you so much. This is all so new and exciting. I am only hesitant on taking a longer cruise because I a afraid of a possibility of being on the sea for several days getting seasick and also I am afraid of bedbugs which I know is rampant anywhere there are numerous travelers such as cruise ships and/or hotels. Thanks for listening and your advise. Pam
Old 12-21-2006, 03:04 PM

Hi Pamela1130!

First of all a coincidence--our daughter's name is Pamela and she was born on November 30th! Didn't know if that was what you were indicating with the 1130 or not.

Anyway, we just returned from an 8 day Radiance of the Sea Eastern Caribbean cruise. We have been on 3 other RCCL cruises and 2 Celebrity Summit cruises. We are in our early 60's. On this Radiance cruise, our 3 adult children and their spouses accompanied us. We all had a wonderful time. There are things on the Radiance that appealed to all ages. I believe that the food we had was the best of any of the cruises we have been on. Our son-in-law enjoyed playing basketball, climbing the rock wall, etc. Another son-in-law liked relaxing at the spa. Everyone enjoyed the shows.

Our Celebrity cruises were wonderful for people in our age bracket. I don't know your age, but I would say that most of the people on our two cruises were middle age. It is a wonderful cruise, and we would do it again, but it is more upscale and sedate. As was stated before, this is just my opinion.

As far as a balcony room is concerned, GO FOR IT! It is fantastic! But beware--once you have experienced a balcony cabin, it would be hard to go back to a cabin without fresh air and the sound of the sea.

Good luck with your choices!

Nadine
Old 12-21-2006, 03:30 PM

Oh thank you!!! Yes, it is my birthday!!! I was born on Winston Churchill's 80th birthday in 1954 which made my British parents very proud even though I was born in the US. Thank you so much for your input. It's so reassuring to hear from someone who has been on a cruise you want to go on. That is the one I am going to go on. Thanks,again, Pam
Old 12-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Most cruiselines give you perks for being a return customer. I got a free upgrade from RC when they found out I was a crown member. Plus there are discount coupons for drinks, services, etc, while on your cruise, and a special cocktail party.

Closed Thread