Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 04:21 PM

Do they allow smoking in all the cabins or only on a certain side? Can you request a non smoking room? If not are the rooms pretty smoke free? The reason I ask is my daughter has asthma and is allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke and we have gotten an inside cabin which I am hoping will not smell too much of smoke if the persons previously in there smoked. Has anyone here had a problem with this before where their cabin just really was bad ? If so can you request to change to another room?
Thanks for any info.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:28 PM

Hi Lissette,
I've been on over 30 cruises and never had a problem with cigarette smoke in cabins except for someone smoking on a balcony next to ours. Smoking is very restricted on ships. If by some chance you have a problem you shouldn't have any trouble getting it resolved, especially if it's a medical issue.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 PM

I think it would be a rare occurance for you to have a problem with smoke.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:52 PM

I have cruised three times and never smelled even a hint of smoke in our cabin - stale or otherwise. Apparently, people ARE allowed to smoke in any of the cabins (perhaps different lines have other policies??) so they must have a terrific air and fabric spray that completely removes all traces of smoke. As Martha would say, it's a good thing!
Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 07-02-2006, 03:07 AM

The only place I have ever smelled smoke on a cruise ship is in the cigar bars and you would obviously want to stay clear of those areas!!!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-03-2006, 05:53 PM

Being allergic to smoke also, we are forced to take a balcony room. Whenever we travel we go with a group and make sure the people on either side of us in our group are non-smokers.

I have passed cabins in the hall where the smell of smoke was very strong.

I met a couple once who were assigned a cabin reeking of smoke. Their cabin attendant said the room smelled so bad after the previous tenants left, he could hardly stand it. Unfortunately, there were no other rooms left. The ship brought in an air cleaning machine but unfortunately they are not really effective.

Please do not be discouraged. So far on the 4 cruises we have made in Europe twice, Canada and Hawaii, we have been fortunate to have a cabin which held no signs of smoke. I always have to worry about air freshners too as they cause me breathing problems too.

Some day the cruise lines will get smart and address this problem. We have been taking river cruises lately and no smoking allowed in rooms or anywhere except outside on the sun deck which is the top of these river ships.

Have a great trip.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jayge:
Being allergic to smoke also, we are forced to take a balcony room. Whenever we travel we go with a group and make sure the people on either side of us in our group are non-smokers.

I have passed cabins in the hall where the smell of smoke was very strong.

I met a couple once who were assigned a cabin reeking of smoke. Their cabin attendant said the room smelled so bad after the previous tenants left, he could hardly stand it. Unfortunately, there were no other rooms left. The ship brought in an air cleaning machine but unfortunately they are not really effective.

Please do not be discouraged. So far on the 4 cruises we have made in Europe twice, Canada and Hawaii, we have been fortunate to have a cabin which held no signs of smoke. I always have to worry about air freshners too as they cause me breathing problems too.

Some day the cruise lines will get smart and address this problem. We have been taking river cruises lately and no smoking allowed in rooms or anywhere except outside on the sun deck which is the top of these river ships.

Have a great trip.
Of the 20+ cruises (all with Carnival which would probably have the most smokers...since they have the reputation for the most partiers) we have never gotten a room that had any hint of smoke.

The bad news is that it can happen. Should you get a room that was not cleared instantly by their "magic spray" (and no other rooms are available) ask for 3 things:

1: That all bedding (including the mattresses) be replaced. Chances are an odor that bad was a cigar smoker.
2. That the carpets be shampooed that evening while you are out. They still may be a little damp when you return but will be dry by morning.
3. Ask that the curtains be "hit again" with the magic spray.

And always take a solid odorizer with you.

Ps: Which river boats have you done, these sound very interesting!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:32 PM

In answer to the question of which river boat we took...Highlights Along the Blue Danube...with Grand Circle. We departed Atlanta, Ga. and flew to Munich, Germany. We were taken to the boat at Vilshofen and cruised along stopping at Passau, Austria, Grein, Germany, Vienna, Bratislava (Republic of Slovakia)and disembarked in Budapest, Hungary to stay in a hotel 3 or 4 nights (I forget which). At each of the above stops there were interesting things to do and see One of the three Program Directors aboard the riverboat lives in Budapest and she continued to guide us and plan things to do in Budapest.

Our group thoroughly enjoyed the trip - the food was very good and the trips interesting. The age group on river cruises tends to be older and children must be the age of 12 I believe.

River cruising is different from ocean cruising. There is no great amount of entertainment - magicians, broadway shows, etc. but the crew put on a comical show for us and along the way, they pick up musical talent, etc. However, river cruising allows you to travel the middle parts of Europe by cruising the rivers where the ocean cruisers cannot go.

We will be taking another of their cruises in August called the Great Rivers of Europe which will take in more beautiful historic towns in Germany and wind its way to Amsterdam and we are taking their post trip to Bruges, Belgium for 4 nights too.

Hope this gives you some insight on river cruising.

Jayge
Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 PM

Depending on the cruiseline, it would be advisable to log on to their site and go to your pre-registration and you may find 'personalize your cruise" with concerns such as diet, allergies, medical, etc.
That way they will get the info prior to, and hopefully do what they can before you board.
Crown Princess April/07 - Fun In The Sun in Eastern Caribbean
RCI Brilliance Of The Seas March/08 - Here We Go Again
RCI Vision Of The Seas Dec/08 - Joining Sis On Her Redneck Honeymoon in Mexico
Old 08-05-2006, 10:36 PM

Smoker here. Wouldn't advise smoking in a cabin without a balcony. It smells really bad. Everytime I've had a balcony room the room attendant always gets me an ashtray, no problem. Certain areas of the ship are designated, but I find that on most ships, the bars and disco allow smoking, very surprised that they still allow that.

Closed Thread

Tags
2014, budapest, cruise, cruises, deck, fo, hotels, nonsmoking, passau, river, room, rooms, ship, ships, side, smoking