Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Here is a question that was presented to me by my niece, who will be joining us on our next cruise. We will all be doing extensive snorkeling at our stops. My niece has a belly button ring, and asked me about the reaction of the fish. Unfortunately she cannot remove it at will, as a special tool is needed. She does not want to take it out for the duration of our entire trip, as she had major infection problem after having it put it. After a year it has just healed (It looked really gross). So the question is, do fish find these little bobbles attractive items to pick at? If so, what is the best solution, perhaps covering with a bandaid? Comments?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:51 PM

Rob,
What an interesting (unique) question. I am anxious to see the responses. My daughter did have her belly button pierced for awhile and we did go snorkeling. As far as I can recollect it was not an issue - we never even thought about it.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-22-2005, 07:04 PM

Rob, I could write a volume about this topic. Yes, she should cover it up with a bandaid. I have a friend that was hit by a shark in Cocoa Beach, Florida because he was wearing a ring on his finger. It is actually a funny story. CNN caught wind of the paramedic call and showed up to interview him. I am not sure if you know many surfers, but he managed to take the interview into the bar on the pier at Cocoa Beach and then talk for hours about the "attack". The news crew was buying him drinks the entire time. He made it sound like it was a life or death situation. Actually it was a small reef shark that hit his ring thinking it was a small baitfish. The injury was superficial, but he enjoyed the drinks and the attention. The media reported it like it was Jaws 3.

I have not worn jewelry surfing for decades because it acts as an artificial lure in the surf zone where fish think it might be something to eat. I would suggest that she cover it up just to be safe. I am sure nothing would happen if she didn't, but why chance it?

Tom
Old 10-22-2005, 07:36 PM

I was just going to give kudos to the OP for the awesome thread title... til I read Tom's post. Who would ever have thought that would happen? Could anything be creepier than a fish biting your jewelry???
Old 10-22-2005, 08:53 PM

Carla, think about it. Fisherman throw shiny objects into the surf zone hoping to fool fish into thinking it is baitfish. A surfer paddling through the surf zone with a shiny ring (watch, or whatever) on their bodies invite the same response. Fish aren't that smart. They bite first and then ask questions later.

Tom
Old 10-23-2005, 10:55 AM

Tom I love your story. At first I thought good point about all the jewlery, we should take off our rings. My wife once took a nasty nip on the finger that festered for days, perhaps it was a ring that brought that on. Now you have appealed to my warped side. With the cost of drinks on board I will have to consider getting myself pierced and add my best fishing lure!!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:38 PM

That would kind of bring the term trolling to a whole new level....VBG.

Tom
Old 10-24-2005, 05:05 PM

Tom, Who are you calling a troll? I bet my wife and niece put you up to it; they are determined to have me wax my back for the next cruise
Old 10-25-2005, 06:57 AM

Rob, it sounds like your wife must know mine. You have me laughing out loud. Thanks.

Tom
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 PM
A one piece swim suit should suffice.

Closed Thread

Tags
attack, belly, bite, body, button, fish, jewelry, jewlery, pierced, ring, rings, snorkeling, snorkels, snorkling, tool