Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 AM

Has anyone ever been on American Airlines to fly? The reason I ask is I just happened to turn the dial on my radio in my car, and someone was reading a report, that someone had written in about their flight/destination, using American Airlines. It was very bad

If you have use AA's before, please give me your pro/cons. We will be using them in April.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:20 AM
I would like to know as well because we will be flying them in May.

What was the report in short what happened?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-05-2007, 07:35 AM

Well, American used to be my preferred carrier -but, not anymore. Unless you happen to live in one of their hub cities (which Cleveland is not) then most likely you will need to take one of their regional jets to the hub for a connecting flight to your destination. The last 3 times I flew American, I arrived a day later than planned. In each case the regional jet had mechanical failures and they had no replacements. In fact, on my last trip with AA -I was rescheduled 4 times (over a period of 24 hours) before actually departing from Cleveland due to mechanical failures on the first 3 planes!!! I am thankful that I have always arranged to fly in at least one-night pre-cruise. Now I dread anytime I must fly AA and if I must - plan 2 days pre-cruise to pad the window.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Wow Nancy, that is terrible service! And I thought dealing with Delta and their regional carriers was bad.

Another gripe of mine is the increasing use of regional jets for long flights.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:18 AM

The key is whether you have to connect or not. On our last flights on American we went RT San Diego-Buffalo, and one leg was on American Eagle.

Our flight there arrived about three hours late, after a connection delay, and that was bad enough.

Our flight home, which was due to depart Buffalo on AE at 6:00 PM was reported to be on time when we left for the airport. When we arrived the monitor still said on time. To make a long story short, they kept delaying, and we left late enough that instead of getting to San Diego on the final flight at 10:30 PM as scheduled, we arrived home at 4:45 AM. And just to add insult to injury, the ONE bathroom on the small American Eagle flight was out of service!

I have been an American frequent flier for years, and will still fly using my miles, but when I am paying these days, I prefer Continental.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 AM

I have to agree with the general sentiment regarding American Airlines and American Eagle. They were my mainstay until recent years. Now I fly Northwest mostly because Minneapolis is NWA's main facility and has been for years. They don't get four star ratings from me either but I haven't had many problems.

When we came back from San Juan on NWA in March of 2004, it was a five hour flight direct from San Juan PR and they made two beverage offerings and most of the time the FAs were sitting on their big wide backsides, (normally used to slam you in the shoulder as they walk by.) It was very warm in the plane and water would have been appreciated more often.

I complained to NWA and they apologized and gave me 3,500 miles on my worldperks.

Sun Country has impressed me and so has Air Tran. They don't have the "awe inspiring" appeal of AA but they want people's business and they go a long way in customer service.

Probably more than you wanted to hear so you got my 2 and more!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Dave,
I agree about long hauls on regional jets. Why AA thinks a flight from Cleveland to Dallas is regional is beyond me???

SD Cruiser,
I am with you - Continental has become my preferred carrier as well (helps that Cleveland is one of CO's hubs).

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I cannot remember all the details of the report, as I did not get in on the beginning of the letter.

The letter read that they had to cross in front of a fat (their term)person going and coming, who was on the isle, and this person would not get up, to let them move in front, to get to either the center or window seat. Of course this was not the airlines fault, but it sounded like they were to have some other (they gave seats to someone else) seats, and when they spoke to the stewardess, or who ever, they never made the people moved so they could have their seats.

Then on top of this, the airline lost part of their luggage, and did not get it back until time to go back home, a couple days later. (I "KNOW" about this experience, as when we cruised a few years ago, the Taxi service,
LOST our luggage for almost 5 days.) It was a experience.

Hopefully we won't have problems with this airline. I'm going to think positive.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Well it looks like I have opened up a can of worms , about American Airlines. I didn't know it was so bad.

Well there isn't much I can do about it now, except PRAY, PRAY, and PRAY some more.

Hopefully I will be able to report back, that PRAYER "did" work

I'm glad we have insurance....for just in case.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:46 PM

In a seemingly opposite position to my earlier post, and in defense of AA, they are not a third world airline so you should be fairly certain that they will get you to where you are going in a reasonable amount of time.

For me, they don't represent the quality they used to and once you have people's expectations to that level and begin to fail to deliver, the perception is worse than getting on aeroflot from Moscow to Vladivostok with a 80% chance of arriving.

But I would just go ahead and plan on prayer.

Closed Thread

Tags
airline, american, cruises