Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2002, 03:06 PM

I"m going on the Explorer on Nov 2nd from the port of Miami. I can take a flight on the same day of the cruise, which supposed to arrive to Miami airport at 9:30am. Did anyone have problems with arriving in the same day of the cruise? Is it better to come a day earlier? Thanks everyone !
Old 10-19-2002, 03:06 PM

I"m going on the Explorer on Nov 2nd from the port of Miami. I can take a flight on the same day of the cruise, which supposed to arrive to Miami airport at 9:30am. Did anyone have problems with arriving in the same day of the cruise? Is it better to come a day earlier? Thanks everyone !
Old 10-19-2002, 03:28 PM

This sounds like you haven't booked your flight yet - am I right? Waiting until the last minute to book a flight is taking a big chance. You don't say where you are coming from; hopefully you are able to use a home airport that offers lots of choices to Miami. Generally I always advise flying the day before a cruise - that way if there are any flight delays or cancellations you still have a chance to make it to the ship on time. To me, it's worth the extra cost of the hotel room the night before, to have peace of mind. Less rush getting to the ship the day of the cruise, too. Airlines have been cutting back on flights with all their money woes this year - book those flights now! (Hotel too.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 04:41 PM

Thanks Karen ! I"m coming from NY and as you said there are many options and those that are considerable are leaving at 6am and arrive at 9:30 to Miami. If I come a day earlier do u know where to go in Miami? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2002, 11:22 AM

There are several good hotel suggestions in the Ports of Call chat - click on the main subject (on the left) and scroll down - look under "Miami" and there are some good ones. Do the same with some of the other columns and you may find other good info.
Miami Beach offers the beach, several beachfront hotels, etc., plus lots of interesting 1930's Art Deco buildings, but you have to be careful about hotels there - some seedy areas (and hotels). If you don't care about spending the night near the beach, you could take a cab over for the day. Lots of moderate hotels near the airport, some with free shuttles to/from airport, could connect you to transfers to the ship (which you would need to arrange thru the cruise line right away) - or you can take a cab to the port from hotel.
Karen
Old 10-22-2002, 07:46 AM

We always fly so that we arrive at least a day in advance. It is much more relaxing that way. You do not have to worry as much if there are flight delays, which can be frequent, or missing connections. There is also less worry about weather delays.

Can you fly the same day and make it? Probably but it will be a long hectic day. Why add to the frustration of flying if you do not have to.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:12 AM

Okay, you all have been so helpful in my finding a hotel in Los Angeles, now I want to know what time I should book my flight home from the cruise!

I am flying in the night before, obviously, so that isn't a problem, but I want to know how much time I should give myself to get to the airport after it's all over...

It says on the itinerary that we get back to San Pedro at 9 a.m. What would be the earliest flight home to book that would still be safe? There is a really inexpensive flight available right now, but it leaves at 12:40 p.m. Is that cutting it too close?

Thanks!
Jessica
Old 11-05-2002, 06:03 PM

That's cutting it very close. There could be be long custom delays. The rule of thumb is nothing before 2PM. If you did book that earlier one and missed it, there's now a $100 charge per ticket to go on same day standby. Airlines have you over a barrel. I'd advise to stick with 2 or later. You could actually save in the long run by doing this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2002, 11:03 AM

We always book our air thru the cruise lines. It may be a bit higher, but at least that way we know, if the plane's late, they're probably going to wait for us because more than likely we're not the only cruise passengers on the flight. Also, that way, we're covered if there's a delay. Besides, what we're saving in hotel/food/transportation by arriving a day early covers the higher airfare thru the cruiselines. Just MHO.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:53 PM

Most TA's that I've been in contact with, advise going a day early for international departures, and if a ship is leaving very early. We have made our own arrangements on many occasions, and the price that we save on the airfare, offsets the cost of the hotel the night before. That way, you can get a good nights sleep, and start enjoying your cruise from the moment you board. You are also far more relaxed. The couple of times that we did use the cruise airlines, the last being with a group of 24, the schedules were a disaster. We sat at the Miami Airport for 4 hours, before Carnival picked us up by bus. On the return, I believe 4 couples were actually seated together. The rest of the people were scattered throughout the plane. I will only do custom air with the airlines from this point on. It cost more, and some cruiselines offer for free to Captain's Club members. You can pick out flights and schedules to your own liking. Hope this helps a little, but if you do your own, a day early is the way to go. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Closed Thread

Tags
bfore, canaveral, cruise, day, flight, fly, flying, home, night, orlando, port, returns, risky, safe, taking