Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 AM

K guys 9 more days until my wife and I's first cruise ever. Does anyone have any advice for us like what not to forget or port info. we are going to montego bay, grand cayman, cozumel leaving from galveston tx, from Dallas. does anyone live in the DFW and drive to the port if so could you tell me about what time to leave so we can get onboard soon? anyway thanks for all the inputs.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM

You going on the Conquest? I assume so.

Leaving from DFW (North of Fort Worth for us) We left at 5AM on Saturday and were standing on Galveston "beach" at 10:30. So you could probably safely leave a little later. But we showed up at the terminal about 11 and were about to be standing in line inside (which is good in this heat) and got onboard by 12:15. So I would plan on being at the terminal early.. you can have lunch on board and have more cruising time!

I personally don't care for Jamacia. But I'll let you make that call. Being your first cruise you'll want to get off in every port. Just be prepared with a VERY firm NO for everything the begger's try to sell you. Also don't try to go to Dunns River Falls. Its a very long bus ride from Montego Bay.. save it for when you cruise into Ochos Rios.

Grand Cayman- Must and I mean MUST do the stingray's You can book through the ship or find a private excursion company once you get on the island. But that is a must go.. you will have time to shop after or before you go. Get down to the tender early because with the size of the Conquest, there is a line of people wanting to go ashore (unless they have prefected the ticket system by now) If you have an early excursion, plan on at least an hour before your departure time.. maybe more.. If a later excursion go ahsore early.. do some shopping and then meet back for the excursion.
get a rum cake.. yummy...

Cozumel? Hard to go wrong there.. Bring your own snorkeling equip and go to Paradise beach and safe yourself some money. The $40 unlimited snorkel will cost you only about $10 a head this way.

I can give you more if you want.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-10-2006, 08:54 AM

Lucky, lucky...still have 71 days to go. When I lived in Grand Prairie I drove to Galveston, I can't remember how long it took, but it seemed like a long drive. Of course, it's a long drive in Texas to get anywhere. Jamaica is a beautiful, but poor island. My advise there is to stay with an organized tour, be it ship or private. Stingray city is great in Grand Cayman. We also did a couple of snorkels on wrecks close to where the tenders dock. They were great snorkels. 7 mile beach is beautiful. We did a swim with the dolphins at Chanakaab (sp?) Park in Cozumel that was awesome. Xel-ha is great for water sports, and the Tulhum ruins are extremely interesting. Don't forget your sunscreen, sunglasses, and plenty of smiles. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:23 AM

Penny- Is Chanakaab or however it is spelled open again? I keep seeing different reports on if it has finally been re-opened after the Hurrican. If it is open, are the dolphin excursions running? If I remember correctly they had to fix the enclosure.

Anyway, will be headed down there in 57 days, so curious...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 AM

According to the web, it's opened. I believe I saw a post on this board that someone had been there and it looked good. I don't know if the swim with the dolphins is still going, but I sure hope so. What an awesome experience. They are powerful, yet gentle creatures and extremely intelligent. There was a lady in the group that had her water shoes on, the dolphin would not go near her. As soon as she took her shoes off, voila. When we got our rides, it was the most amazing feeling. I sure hope you get to do the swim, it's worth every cent. (To me anyway). Best wishes!

Closed Thread