Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM

I need advice.My family has been on 5 cruises and love them. We are ready to decide on our summer vacation. I have a son who is 16 and a daughter who is 10. They love hanging out with the new friends they meet on cruises.We are considering going to an all inclusive in Mexico instead of a cruise just because we have never done one. But we are all scared about trying something new.For all you guys that have tried an all inclusive,can you tell me if your kids made friends easily? I love the set up of cruises. Especially for my son who tends to be shy.I can't imagine him having much fun if he hangs out with the rest of us the whole time.He is at that age where hanging out with your family is not cool.Any advice out there?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 AM

I need advice.My family has been on 5 cruises and love them. We are ready to decide on our summer vacation. I have a son who is 16 and a daughter who is 10. They love hanging out with the new friends they meet on cruises.We are considering going to an all inclusive in Mexico instead of a cruise just because we have never done one. But we are all scared about trying something new.For all you guys that have tried an all inclusive,can you tell me if your kids made friends easily? I love the set up of cruises. Especially for my son who tends to be shy.I can't imagine him having much fun if he hangs out with the rest of us the whole time.He is at that age where hanging out with your family is not cool.Any advice out there?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:47 AM

Our family did a Mexico all-inclusive on the riviera at Club Viva Maya, my daughter was 15 yrs. old at the time. The same year my neighbor went with both children ages 13 and 15 to the same area, different resort. We had a totally different experience. At our resort there were very few Americans, however my daughter made some great friends from Germany, who she kept in touch with over the internet for years. But I must say she is outgoing, will approach people and introduce herself and a small language barrier did not deter her. My neighbors, who stayed at the Paridisius (sp?), found their resort to be mostly American. My neighbor's child is shy and she told me she had to help him with the friend process by introducing themselves to other families. These resorts offered a lot of activities, but had no planned programs. We did enjoy the trip and so did our neighbors. My daughter begs to go back to the same resort. It was great to have a week in one area where there is so much to do.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:50 PM

Kids make friends no matter where they go. We have been to a few resorts and some more than once and every time seems to be different. Also I find people that travel have a tendancy to mingle well with others whether it be a land or cruise vacation. BUT I do find that there is just so much more to do on a cruise, every day is an adventure where as on an all-incl. everyday is the same unless of course you do excursions most of the days to change things up. The food I found always to be better on a cruise both taste and selection. Entertainment so much better on a cruise and the 24hr service fit for a Queen... will not be found at most of the all-incl and lets not forget to mention the continual view.....priceless! I always found myself starring out to sea while at a resort just looking for cruiseships and when spotted I would imagine and wish myself on one. When I am on a cruiseship and at sea and look at islands from a distance, don't think I ever imagined nor wished myself there. Before our cruise we are staying 5 days at a nice resort in Miami and although I will be on vacation I will be starring out to sea each night and waiting anxiously each day for 11:00a.m. to come when I will be boarding my cruise. So to summ it up, guess my vote would be CRUISE.
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

Cruise over all inclusive for me, too. Although, I bet the All-Inclusive Chat site NEVER has a thread about smuggling alcohol!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Since your kids already love cruising, I would stick with that for now - especially with the 6-year difference in ages - both have plenty of activities to choose from. I would do an all-inclusive resort vacation when there are other families you know that might can join you. A week is a long time in one place if you don't meet anybody.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM

Goin' Cruisin', I wonder if there is an all-inclusive chat line. For some reason I don't think it would be as interesting as this one, posibly because booze is included no need to smuggle! but then again.....oooops are we bringing up the alcohol subject , why I aughta....
Too funny!
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

if you have never tried one, and are getting tired of the cruising, go for it!! The magic feeling of the AI wristband is very nice...to have waiters bringing you free drinks with more frequent service than you can get around a crowded ships pool is excellent...swim up bars are fun too...did i mention the free in room mini bar...riu resorts offer liquor dispensors in all thier rooms. Can you tell i like alchahol?

The food can be awesome at AI's but the dining room on ship is fancier. I found the entertainment to be a little less varied at the resorts but i stay at the more economical resorts, it may be better at one of the 5 star places. Most of the excursions are fairly cheap. All the resorts in mexico have activity desks or people that can book your excursions from your resort...but unlike a ship thats the only thing you get charged for...if you stay on the resort, you can do anything but make long distance phone calls and you will not have a bill when you check out. (awesome feeling) the workers at ai places are well paid and tipping is not required. though we tip the maids (at the end) and bartenders (at the beginning)
there is allways someone cleaning or improving on the property. My brother smokes and as we shot a game of pool he put a butt in the ashtray, i swear in less than 2 minutes a girl appeared with a mini vac and removed it and fluffed the sand in the ashcan. service was just as outstanding at the pool or even on the beach! This awesome service is standard in mexican AI resorts, even the cheap ones...Resort amenities are listed and pictured on different sites with travelocity and some others offering recent reviews as well.
There are some that are more family oriented than others so i'm sure you could find one to keep your kids entertained. we have made a few international friends at resorts, like on a cruise everone is friendly and relaxed for the most part. Be aware some resorts look the other way as far as european sunbathing goes, so your son may want to hang out by the pool and beach all day at least until he sees a grandma going topless that sortta ruins the whole thing.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 AM

Cruising is the best. All inclusives-well--you're stuck if you're not enjoying it.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:10 AM

I agree with Penny. All inclusives are good for 3, maybe 4 days tops. I enjoy alcohol too but in good taste and moderation.

On a cruise, the next best thing is the next port! Don't like the scenery? Wait a minute....there you go, it changed.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, european, family, inclusive, reviews, sunbathing