Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 PM

Lisa, we also take out insurance on most trips. I think you'll find many insurance companies now give you 10-14 days to purchase the insurance and still be able to waive the pre-existing condition clause. And the 10-14 days are from the date of the first deposit on the trip, which could be different from the time of booking.

Sandy
Old 01-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Thanks, Sandy. I had meant to type "initial deposit" but "booking" came to mind, instead, probably because I'm looking to book right now...

I tend to do all three simulaneously -- book, pay initial deposit, and take out insurance. That's just me, as I don't like to leave anything hanging.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I had meant to type "initial deposit" but "booking" came to mind, instead, probably because I'm looking to book right now...

Where are you thinking about going? We just booked NCL Hawaii with friends for the end of the year. We've done American Hawaii twice but I think it's time to go back!

Sandy
Old 01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Congratulations on the booking, Sandy! Sounds great, and even better with friends.

I'm currently looking at a few options for February 2007 and summer 2007. Our vacation weeks are dictated by the school calendar, so we usually have to plan far ahead. We're thinking of Radiance of the Seas for February -- that's the one we're getting close to booking -- and something in Europe for the summer.

And, insurance premium will be paid along with the deposit.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:50 PM

We want to book for the second week (RRCL or Princess) in July 2006 which is soon! But, if we book and I need to move the week ahead will I be charged? What do you recommend? If I have to change I will know by April/May? I hate to wait to long and then totally lose out? Either way I will get insurance, especially after reading the abovee article, great information! Thanks!
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 02-17-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nat:
We want to book for the second week (RRCL or Princess) in July 2006 which is soon! But, if we book and I need to move the week ahead will I be charged? What do you recommend? If I have to change I will know by April/May? I hate to wait to long and then totally lose out? Either way I will get insurance, especially after reading the above article, great information! Thanks!
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 03-29-2006, 04:37 PM

does the medical evacuation ins also cover your medical wxpenses if you get sick on the ship? Or if you are evacuated and treated elsewhere if you do not have other medical insurance?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm also curious about what the insurance covers on the ship. Our last Costa cruise, we did get the insurance - through Costa themselves. I booked directly through Costa as well. I figured we were covered.

On the beach in the Dominican Republic (Costa's own island/beach) I broke my toe and a couple of bones in my foot. Stupid accident, kicked the bottom of a beach chair buried in the sand. I went to the doctor on the beach for something to wrap the darn thing up - we were doing the sugar cane excursion shortly. The doctor insisted it was just a bruise. He had nothing for me, and told me I could see him on the ship if I needed anything further. Fine. I hobbled through the tour. They did bring a wheelchair to the dock for me so that I could make it up to the starting point of the tour.

On the ship, I tried to see the doctor. No good. I was told I had to pay. They didn't care that I had insurance, through the cruise line. I asked for some tape and gauze to wrap it up at least so I could walk. (I've broken this toe a few times, I know the routine.) They gave it to me - and demanded payment for it!

On our way home (we had driven to the ship) we had to stop at a hospital. Foot and leg had swollen to a ridiculous size. A few Xrays later we knew it was the toe and the bones nearby.

OK, it was a real injury. I survived. Foot is fine now. My point is that while on the cruise the doctor would do nothing except give me some bandages that I had to pay for. The insurance said medical - but it didn't cover it. Why?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:43 PM

Most travel insurance covers expenses - including medical ones - on a reimbursement basis, not upfront. It's standard procedure to charge you (on your shipboard account) for medical treatment onboard. You would have needed to submit a claim to your travel insurance company (and possibly also to your medical insurance company) for reimbursement after your cruise.

I'm glad that all ended up well after your injury (healthwise, at least)! Sounds like a nasty break.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:47 PM

Prior to leaving for Egypt to do a Nile cruise (1986), I took out insurance on my new (and expensive, at the time) camera equipment thru my homeowners for very few dollars. It covered any loss including dropping it into the Nile.

Closed Thread

Tags
insurance