Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM
I was just wasting time watching old videos of The Love Boat on YouTube. And in this particular video, I couldn't help but notice that the men were all wearing suits while boarding the ship for the first time (or at least a coat and tie).

I have been on four cruises so far and never noticed any one dressed-up for embarkation. Of course, I only started cruising four years ago. Have times changed that much? Did that ever used to happen or was it a fictional creation of television?

Here is the video segment I was watching:
Loat Boat segment where men boarded wearing suits
Old 03-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I took my first cruise in 1974, and while pelple did dress a lot nicer then, the coat and tie for embarkation was as fictitious as all the young beauties in skimpy suits around the pool.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Remember the Love Boat tv series is about 30 years old now. That was back when you dressed up to go to the doctor's office and such.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 AM

I've been sailing for over 25 years & have still yet to find any swimming pool with that many beauties aboard. Maybe a few guys warring suits for boarding but then again people used to dress to fly years back.
It might become popular again since the airlines starting charging for the extra suitcase.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichC:
I've been sailing for over 25 years & have still yet to find any swimming pool with that many beauties aboard.
Oh that's because I wasn't cruising ...well 25 years ago I was 13 but I looked 19!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 AM

Hmm.. Not only is the absence of semi-formal attire missing from today's cruise passengers, but, when is the last time that all the senior staff of a major cruise ship been made up of all U.S. natives? No offense intended, just making an observation.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 AM

Cruising attire has definitely changed over the years, as has attire to fly. My father was a pilot for Eastern. When I flew, I was expected to wear a dress, he would have absolutely shot me if I had even thought about wearing a pants suit. When I boarded my first ship I wore a sun dress, my husband wore a pair of dress slacks, a dress shirt and a sports jacket. My first cruise was in 1979 on board the Costa Dauphne. We did a 3 day to Nassau and Coco Cay. I can attest that cruising has totally changed. Some things for the good, some things not, but still the only way to travel!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 AM

Times sure have changed about cruise wear. I have only been cruising for 15 years, and have seen big changes. If they made a commercial from clips of some things I have seen lately it would be a hoot!

Dwayne
Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 AM
Administrator

I know Pacific Princess (or Island Princess, as was often shown) was small, but I always got a kick out of how the senior staff got to know the passengers' names, as well as have time to meddle in their problems!

My husband and I also used to chuckle over the "will you have dinner with me tonight?" lines. Did "The Love Boat" create Freestyle Dining???
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

And let's not forget that all the cabins looked to be at least 500 sq ft in size, with one notable exception. On one show they had someone in a tiny cabin with upper/lower berths - I think it was a crewman.

I'm still trying to figure out how Isaac managed to work every bar simultaneously.

Closed Thread

Tags
appearances, boat, costa, dauphne, love, most