Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 PM

Hey folks I was wondering if anyone had any information about the best way about getting a job on a cruise. The Pro's the Con's and any other useful information someone might be able to give me thank you!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

File an application would be the first step.

F-Mattox: this is your forte'...I abdicate the thread to you....
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 PM
No G.C., you've got it;
Frequencypromos (interesting name!), things have changed a lot since I worked for Princess. Most cruise lines websites have a link to information on employment. Check them out and find out how and where they do their hiring.

You don't say where you are posting from, but I'm sure you realize many, if not most employess come from countries other than the United States--the exception being NCL America. On my recent Princess cruise there were many from Central and Eastern European countries.

You don't say what type of work you do, or would like to do; but if long hours, short pay, and an experience that could forever change you and give you a new perspective on other peoples and cultures, by all means look into it.

I took a chance, as I was married (still am) and had one son and another on the way; and I'd be lying if I said it didn't put a strain on my family and me--but it opened my eyes to a lot of things and instilled a deep love and respect for the sea and for ships that I carry to this day--and that was over 30 years ago.

So go for it, if you get the chance. I think you'll be glad you did.

Rick
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 AM

The best way is to go to the cruiseline's websites..NOT just to google "cruise jobs". You'll find an employment agency that way. Each cruise line has a link to their employment bureau.

PROS: Lots of travel, see exotic ports, meet people

CONS: You have to sign a contract for 6-9 months, the pay is generally very low..because they're giving you room and board, you do NOT mingle with the passengers and do NOT eat in the dining room, this is NOT the LOVE BOAT, you will generally room with 3 other people of the same sex...if you don't get along with them, TOUGH!!

End to the story...cruise line employment is not all it's cracked up to be. Rick...am I right??
Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Well, sort of right, PA Steve;

it of course depends on the job; as guest entertainers we had the run of the ship--but that's not true for all, or even most positions.

In most crew jobs you don't socialize with passengers but there is usually lots of interaction them. Quite honestly the crew is more fun to be around than most of the passengers.

Even though we could eat in the dining room we often chose the crew mess--the food was wholesome, good, and plenty of it.

And the dorm-style accomodations weren't so bad--clean, comfortable, more room than you might think--roomier than some of the inside passenger cabins. And if you don't get along with your roomies, well, part of maturing as an adult is learning HOW to get along with someone you may not particularly like.

No, The Love Boat it is not.

But it ain't to shabby either.

Rick
Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

Last time I took a cruise, I was in the lower bowels of the ship, and I heard a sound like that of a flatline, yet I know no one had passed away on the ship. Do you have ANY idea what that might have been f-mattox?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goin' cruisin':
Last time I took a cruise, I was in the lower bowels of the ship, and I heard a sound like that of a flatline, yet I know no one had passed away on the ship. Do you have ANY idea what that might have been f-mattox?
You say the bowels were rumbling? I get that from Rocky Mtn. Oysters. Sorry you said FLAT LINE and you asked Rick. Never mind.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
G.C., if by flatline you meen a continuors high-pitched whine, it could be any number of things; there's a lot of industrial strength stuff down there. There are also buzzers and alarms that alert crew to needed maintenance or even emergencies.

I'd have to hear it--and even if I did I probably wouldn't know. Kind of sounds like a turbine for generating electricity.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:
You say the bowels were rumbling? I get that from Rocky Mtn. Oysters.
That's EXACTLY why I stay away from them!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Which?

Bowels of the ship? Or oysters?

Closed Thread

Tags
ilya, jobs, karger