Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:38 PM

Last night (Sunday 10pm EST) I saw the most fascinating documentary on the Queen Mary II. It explained why its shape makes it an ocean liner and not a cruise ship. I always thought it was an ugly ship but now I take that back. She is built for handling the Atlantic crossings. In fact, the crossing that was filmed included a terrible storm on the 1st night at sea.

The show touched on how they make fresh water, handle the black and grey water, recycling, baggage handling, steering etc. There was also an outbreak of the dreaded stomach virus and it showed the cleaning and dissenfecting of the infected cabins.

Has anyone else see this show?

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 08-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Hooked-on-HAL,

I think I saw that documentary on German television some time ago. Very impressive, indeed!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator

I've seen a documentary on Queen Mary 2, although I don't think it was the same one you saw. Was it a cable show? If so, which station, in case we get it in the States.

I also used to think she wasn't very attractive (alright...ugly), until I saw her in person. She certainly is something!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Lots of classic liners built for Atlantic crossing were much sleeker and better proportioned than Queen Mary 2; one that comes immediately to mind is the original Queen Mary. The QE 2 is another.

I would not go so far as to call her ugly; but she is certainly one of the least attractive ships sailing today.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooked-on-HAL:
I always thought it was an ugly ship but now I take that back. She is built for handling the Atlantic crossings. In fact, the crossing that was filmed included a terrible storm on the 1st night at sea.
Maybe they learned something after Titanic? ^^
It's the same cruise-line right, or at least Cunard was a part of it? Or changed their name by now?
I like their atlantic consept. They're using their ships all over their world, and not for a specific area only.
And they have world cruises for more than 100 Nights!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 AM

I saw her in port last December and am still kicking myself for not booking her. They sent me an offer for the week before our Christmas cruise last year and I didn't do it because my hubby didn't have enough vacation time. I'll probably never get another offer like that She sure didn't look ugly to me. I think I did see the same special, it was on our Travel Channel station.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Penny, I'll have to catch The Travel Channel more frequently. I've seen a couple of specials on QM2, but the one Hooked-on-HAL mentioned didn't sound familiar. So, I'm in for a treat!

JuniorCruiser, Titanic was part of White Star Line (as was her sister ship Olympic, which had a lengthy career, by the way). In the 1930s, Cunard and White Star merged, forming Cunard-White Star, Ltd. The White Star name was dropped by 1950. (There's more to it, but this is a general overview.)

I did a transatlantic crossing on QE2 a few years ago. There is nothing like it...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
I did a transatlantic crossing on QE2 a few years ago. There is nothing like it...
Glad you liked it!

Closed Thread