Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2006, 05:44 AM

We cruise on 4/28/07, how long will it take for us to receive our passports? Should we apply now or do we have time to wait?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 06-21-2006, 08:49 AM

Get them as soon as you can... Do not wait until a month before the cruise. It will cause you undo stress and anxiety. I KNOW. I had to pay for a "expiditing" service to get mine in time and it cost me 3 times what it should have.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:11 AM

When dealing with passports, its never too soon to get them in order.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 AM

Passports last for 10 years from date of issue, so you won't run out of time by getting one early. Assuming the U.S. government goes through with its current plan of requiring passports for those returning by air & sea from other countries by the end of this year, there will be a big rush toward the end of the year, which will mean delays in processing. I agree with Chuck and Rich - apply now. It's easier than ever; you should be able to do so at your local post office.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

MrsB,

If you go to this website and enter your zip code it will show where you need to go to submit your application. Let me add my voice to the others........do it now! The time is fast approaching when every American will need a passport for one reason or another.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the comments If we go to a location in my area, will they give them to us or will we have to wait on them to be mailed?? What is the average wait time if they mail them?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 06-21-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsB:
Thanks for the comments If we go to a location in my area, will they give them to us or will we have to wait on them to be mailed?? What is the average wait time if they mail them?
There was a time when you could go to the local passport office (e.g. Los Angeles on Wilshire Blvd.) to have one renewed/issued but no more. Now, you send it off to a central processing center and based on their volume, it will take several weeks.

I needed additional visa pages in my still valid passport (that's another, often missed requirement - the number of BLANK visa pages you have left in your passport before departing the country) - even expedited it took two weeks.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

MrsB,

The passport acceptance agent will take your application, photos, checks, proof of citizenship (typically your birth certificate), and send them off to the Passport Office. In a few weeks you will get your passports in the mail along with your birth certificates. They are quite good at ensuring any official documents are returned to you. 6 weeks is a good rule of thumb from start to finish. 4 or 5 weeks is often the case.

Case in point: we sent off for our son's passport last August. For our area, this means it went to New Orleans for processing. Then Katrina hit and I was worried that everything was hosed. My concerns were unfounded. They secured all the applications in New Orleans and moved them to the Charleston office. We got our son's passport and his birth certificate in the mail about 7 weeks after our local circuit court sent them in. (For us, the county circuit court is the passport acceptance agent). I was highly impressed by the Passport Agencys ability to recover from the hurricane. They were one of the few government entities that had their act together.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:21 PM

Most of the post offices in your area (metro area) should be able to accpet your passport application. I was able to obtain my passport in about 1 1/2 weeks last year prior to my cruise but I had to pay for express service. My wife got her new passport earlier this year and it took about 4 weeks from the day of application @ our local post office.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Do it now if you can.

Closed Thread

Tags
passport, photoshop, roanoke, va