Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 AM

Hello everybody!

I would love to hear what you think of future trends in the cruise industry:

* In which direction will/might the market develop?
* What kind of special forms of cruising will evolve in the future? ("specialization")
* What kind of cruises will you be interested in in the future?
* Which "unknown" destinations would you like to appear in cruise lines schedules/would you be interested in?

Im looking forward to your statements!

Steffen
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 AM

Hi Steffen, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I can only believe the cruise market will increase as long as no crazy jehad twits decide to kill vacationers. I can foresee some specialized criusing with themes, like extreme adventure, culinary cook-offs, art-lovers, explorers, etc. My preference is cruising where the snorkeling/diving is awesome and air fare is not a killer, so right now I'm pretty much limited to the Caribbean, which is a great place to be limited to. My dream is to visit every island in the Caribbean, so I would love them to open up more ports. We went to St. Vincent last year, which was really a unique place to visit. I'd love to see St. Bartholomy, more of the DR, places like that. Too bad US citizens can't visit Cuba, it's really a pretty island. But that would be my desire, sure wish their governments would get it together. Best wishes!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 AM
I would like to see non-smoking ships & adult only cruises offered.
We prefer smaller ships (less than 1000 pax)so it is feasable for it to be done.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM

I've been on carnival cruise that was non smokeing. I would like to see better rated ships going out of Charlston South Carolina.
I would like to see a cruise that included all drinks, but with the libality probaly will never happen. Maybe 7 day cruises with one or two ports. As long as I can cruise I will be happy
Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 PM

I second that!
Better ships from Charleston!
Carnival should bring Holiday here!

The Industry is pretty much on track with their mass marketing efforts, especially for first time cruisers.

The specialty niche will evolve and be explored to fill berths. As with all the newbuilds, they will continue to market to this segment and make up the lower fares with add-ons and onboard creative profits.

For the experienced cruisers, including some ports as Penny suggested would be in order. St.Barts, and others.

I still see the major lines using Travel Agents as their main marketing. It is nice to call the 1-800 numbers, untill you get the foreign dialect on the other end of the line that has never been on a cruise.

The future will also depend on the lines overbuilding to out do the other regarding the size of the ships.

The mass market cruise lines are so overbuilt for the Carribean, hence the low fares to fill. It will take some creative "specialty" to fill the berths.

IMHO
IslandCruz
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 AM

Lucky for all of us, the flow of new ships entering the market is keeping cruise prices in check. We are already seing a lot of upgraded "pay-to-go/do" experiences, like specialty restaurants, etc. on the newer ships and need to be prepared to see many more services become upgrades. It would not surprise me in the least if the now-included nightly dining room service became an option on some cruises, with the buffet only included with the standard fare. Even though the cruise industry overall is doing well, each new ship makes the whole pie smaller to a degree.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 12-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Banned

I would definatly not like if they took away the dinner service. I probably wouldnt like cruising as much. That is part of the fun!
Old 12-09-2006, 05:41 AM

As I saw, some of you are interested in "new and more ports" - whta kind of cruise ship would be able to go to new destinations? What do you think?
Old 12-09-2006, 03:28 PM

The pacific side of Honduras would be a great port to develop. One of the pretties areas I have seen is the Pacific side of Honduras, and Amapala Island. The bay there is simply beautiful and the city of Choluteca is only 30 minutes from the beach. Just that one area as a port just like it is now would beat most any I have been to in the Caribbean.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Where is the industry going:

Bigger ships... 150,000 Liberty of the Seas, and a third planed, plus a 250,000 ton planned for Royal Caribbean. NCL's got large ones in the works. Heck even the luxury lines that currently sail smaller ships will be order larger ships. Although the luxury lines won't increase passenger size all that much on their larger ships...

New ports... I'm predicting year round cruising from Boston within the next 5 years. Long term, expect more Vision Class ships to be sent on overseas deployments.

Onboard amenities: Those that don't offer WiFi or shipboard cell service will in the next 3 years. More lines to offer their own take on NCL's Freestyle Dining concept.

To the person looking for included drinks, you need to look at either Regent Seven Seas or Crystal Cruises. Both of them include drinks. Oceania includes all non-alcoholic drinks, and their VP has said publicly that they are not interested in extending the policy to alcohol, and their reasoning is quite good... You'll never see alcohol included on anything other than a luxury line.

As for non-smoking, that may happen given the changes that came about from the Star Princess fire. On many lines, smoking is already severely restricted in response to the Star Princess fire.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, coming, cruise, cruises, economic, exciting, future, indrustry, industry, projected, ships, size, trends, vessel, years