Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
So many of the members here have posted amazing pictures. Does anyone have any tips? I have a nikon 10 mg digital, but don't know much about framing the shot or sun angle etc.
Any tips for great shots?

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
So many of the members here have posted amazing pictures. Does anyone have any tips? I have a nikon 10 mg digital, but don't know much about framing the shot or sun angle etc.
Any tips for great shots?

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
We have several members that take great shots; Gary"s (gdjoslin) are always amazing and I would like to hear his suggestions too.

I am fairly new to digital photography; and before that I was a point-and-shoot 35mm guy. All I can say is try lots of different things and see what works and what dosen't. Two of the great things about digital: you can shoot all day and it dosen't cost a thing; and the camera records the settings used for every shot. I practice at home by setting up a subject and then shooting it from all different angles and camera settings. Then I just review all the shots and see what worked. Little by little you get a sense of what is best for different situations. Nobody has to see the goofs!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

A big thing with digital photography is getting a camera that will shoot in RAW mode. This takes up a lot of memory per shot, but it also gives you a lot to work with when you clean up the photos. I believe this is what Gary does for his shots.

For the casual photos, I still recommend using the highest resolution you can get and simply using high memory cards. A simple thing to remember when taking a photo is this: compose your photo in the viewfinder, but then ignore your subject and look at everything else. Too many people look only at what they want to photograph and never consider the background or things around your subject. The "other stuff" can often make or break a photo.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Rick and Dave are right lots of pratice. Shoot the highest resolution, and in raw if possible.
People always want to shot at a lower resolution because if will give them lots of shots. It does not do any good to have shots of poor quality that you can not use if you get a keeper. case in point. I lowered my resolution because I am taking a lot of garbage shots trying to figures out a new gps toy. As luck would have it this guys jumped up on a rock in my area. Had I been shooting at full resolution I would be a to clean the photo up better. i know better than that.
A great forum to go to is DPREVIEW, this is th nikon link. I hope I am allowed to post this link here. There should be a forum link to your camera type, plus a few general talk links.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 AM

Awesome picture Gary! I am of the old f/stop and depth of field 35mm school of photography. So learning digital has been a challenge for me as well. Thanks for the tips Rick, Dave, and Gary.

Dwayne
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 AM

What a magnificent picture! Thanks, Gary.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 AM

As always on the photography subject, Gary is spot on with his analysis. I am a true photography amateur. The hardest aspect for me were exposure speed and lighting. You can find the perfect image and render it useless if the other elements aren't included. Some of my favorite shots are somewhat muted in the background but show an idyllic scene.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 AM

That looks like an Alabama picture, Dr.L. I've got lots of pictures of water, from the Caribbean. Then when I was on the big island, I took copious amounts of cactus pictures. Still have no idea why I did that, only thing I can think of is that I couldn't believe Hawaii had cactus. Of course, I hadn't been to a volcano before either and didn't realize how much they stunk. Can you tell I'm a blonde?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 AM

quote:
I couldn't believe Hawaii had cactus. Of course, I hadn't been to a volcano before either and didn't realize how much they stunk. Can you tell I'm a blonde?

Would you believe Ireland has Palm Trees?

Closed Thread

Tags
pictures