Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM

One member of our party on a March cruise is pregnant and will be slightly over the published restricted date for boarding. (26 weeks I believe it is). How strict are the lines on this matter as she is considering giving it a try. They all say they require documentation of due date which she wouldn't have, but do they actually force the issue?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Being slightly over the published restriction is like being slightly pregnant - you either are or you are not. The cruise lines don't police this area, they expect the passengers to be honest about it. And I'd say that they would only throw a flag if the person was "obviously" showing. Of a larger concern to me is that the pregnant woman is willing to take a risk for her unborn child by going on the cruise in violation of the rules. What if something happens while at sea? She risks her child by taking a chance on it. She needs to stay home.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
I've never heard of anyone being turned away because of this, but then I've never heard of anyone forcing the issue. If you call the cruise line and ask them if they are serious about this, what do you really think they are gonna' say? "Naw, we don't enforce it."
I don't know about pregnancy but I know on other issues of passenger safety or proper documentation they are absolutely by-the-book. I saw a man denied boarding because his passport was a few days expired--heartbreaking!
Just the remote chance of being turned away at the pier would tell me it's not worth it.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:31 PM

My wife was 4 months pregnant with our second child when we went on our 2nd cruise. But that was 11 years ago and 4 months is much different that 26 weeks+

I would definetly buy trip insurance and make sure she has a checkup and maybe a doctor's opinion/note before going if you decide to try it.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 AM

vlr,

Welcome to Crusie-Chat!

Which cruise line and rules are you reading from?

This is a new question for me, and will be glad to check it out. We both will learn something.

IslandCruz
Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 PM

The back of the Carnival brochure says women 27 weeks and over will not be permitted to sail. As Dave 56 says why would she want to risk her unboarn child? In addition to that, it is very selfish of her to risk disrupting everyone's vacation should the ship have to make a diversion because of her.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Also, travel insurance may or may not cover pregnancy, either for cancellation or for medical issues arising during travel. She should check the policy coverage carefully before purchasing - but I would agree that if she insists on going, and can be covered, she should have insurance.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 PM

Yes, I found that under the Medical Services section of "Things to know before you go". I did not realize how pregnant that was untill I did the math. I agree with Dave, Fanatic, and Karen it should not even be considered.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks all for the input. It looks like she's decided not to even attempt the trip. Certainly not worth the risk or the hastle. Maybe next time.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Very glad to hear it; I know we are all relieved.
It was just wrong for so many reasons. I'm sure you all are very dissapointed, but she made the right choice. There will always be another chance.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, cruise, enforced, insurance, line, policy, pregnancy, pregnant, reviews, royal, travel, turned