Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

P~,

As Karen says, they take you right up to the terminal building. They will stop by the porters for luggage drop-off. You hand off the luggage and then go to the terminal entrance which is just a few steps away. You and your carry-ons will go through an airport style security check and then you move on to check-in for the cruise.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 PM

Awesome!! Ok, so are we able to keep our carryons with us the whole time, or do they take them to put in your room....and is there some kind of notification that your room is ready? Sorry I dont like not having a clue. Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:51 AM

Most of the times, rooms are not ready before 1pm.
If you get earlier to the ship you have to take your carryons with you.
On some ships they allow you to bring the luggage to the cabin, if you leave immediately.
Last time on our Splendour Transatlantic, the hallways to the cabins were closed, so we took our carryons with us for the first lunch in the Windjammer.

Marita

Old 04-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Administrator

pam,

You have to keep your carryons with you. The crew does not take them from you. If your cabin is ready, then you can obviously drop off the carryons and go exploring or eating, or both. On those times when the cabins are not yet ready you can sometimes drop the carryons off in the cabin. This depends on how zealous the hotel staff is in keeping passengers away from the uncleaned cabins. We have managed to drop in, smile at the steward and toss our carryons in the closet. Other times we have been politely asked to come back later by someone stationed in the passageway to keep people away.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Thanks alot!
Your advice is priceless!
Pam~
Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Pam, just a reminder to keep some things in your carry-on bags that you will need sooner rather than later. For instance, if you need any medications in the first few hours onboard, keep that with you. Some folks coming from cold weather cities like to keep a change of clothing in their carry-on, as well as hat, sunglasses, etc. The reason is that the luggage you give to the porters may not be delivered to your cabin for several hours after you get on the ship. They have thousands of bags to distribute, and that can take a while!

On occasion, I've been surprised and my luggage was waiting for me when I got to my room. But it's possible it may not even be there by dinner time, especially if you have main seating for dinner.

Sandy
Old 04-07-2006, 05:27 AM

I see, thanks for that info Sandy! I really do appreciate all the great tips we've gotten on this board...I was afraid I would get blindsided somewhere along the way and I didnt want something small to turn into some big deal. We have one week to go and I am more than ready to head out now!! Take care! P~
Old 04-07-2006, 11:50 AM

Pam, come back and tell us how the cruise was!

Enjoy,
Sandy
Old 04-07-2006, 12:19 PM

Actually, if you just follow the other sheep, er...passengers you will be fine. I also agree with the above about getting to the ship later rather than earlier. You usually can walk right on and the food lines are also dissapated by then also.

BTW, we are sailing on the Triumph on the 15th so we might see you around.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:44 PM

Hi Liisa...I learned my lesson last year...take only one suitcase per person if you can. You have to handle all the luggage usually by yourself, and I had 3 suitcases (granted, 2 were small ones but they were still a big hassle). Next year when I go, I plan on taking only one suitcase! Also, make sure you have your tickets out when you get to your port, that way you don't have to worry about where they are when you get there, or you could even just get a manilla folder and put all your travel documents in that in a ziploc bag. Have fun on your cruise!
Keri-Atlanta, GA
British Isles-June 2007 (Princess)
1st cruise-Western European Capitals-06/2005-Golden Princess

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, embarkation, process, upgrade