Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 PM

We are planning on getting passports before we go on our next cruise, should this satisfy everyone or do we need to take our birth certificate too?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 PM

We are cruising 01/21/07 out of Galveston. Everything I have read states a passport is sufficient.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 PM

With a passport, you do not need to take your birth certificate.

If you're cruising after Jan. 7, your passport needs to be valid a minimum of 6 months after your trip is over.

Sandy
Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
With a passport, you do not need to take your birth certificate.

If you're cruising after Jan. 7, your passport needs to be valid a minimum of 6 months after your trip is over.

Sandy
Hey Sandy, Could you explain why the Passport needs to be valid after the cruise for 6 months?
Valid for what?

IslandCruz
Old 09-14-2006, 07:40 AM

Island, one of the new rules that goes into effect Jan. 7 is that the U.S. requires that your passport not expire within 6 months of the completion of your international trip.

Sandy
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 AM

Passport is the only thing you need. If you plan on doing ANY international travel after the 1st of the year you need a passport. And I would suggest you get it now and not wait. I suspect the Passport agency to have a run on passport applications in the beginning of the year for those that procrastinate or just don't pay attention and are going on their first Caribbean trips. Meaning the processing time will most likely be longer. Get it now and avoid the rush.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:

Hey Sandy, Could you explain why the Passport needs to be valid after the cruise for 6 months?
Valid for what?

IslandCruz
It is not so much your country but other countries .... some are 3 months after but most are 6.
It is incase you have an accident or are delayed for unknown reasons you will have time to get a new passport.
If your passport is only good for 1 week after your cruise & you should run into problems you will have to get new passport quick.

You can check the requirements of the countries you are visiting at
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1765.html
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-14-2006, 03:51 PM

Sandy, please see: US Passport Office
Quote:
What Else Should I Know About Passports?

• Some countries require that your passport be valid at least 6 months beyond the dates of your trip. Check with the nearest Embassy or Consulate of the countries you plan to visit to find out their entry and visa requirements.
  • If you travel abroad frequently, you may request a 48-page passport at the time you apply for a new passport. In addition to foreign entry requirements, U.S. law must be considered. With certain exceptions, it is against U.S. law to enter or leave the country without a valid passport. Generally, for tourists, the exceptions refer to direct travel within U.S. Territories or between North, South, or Central America (except Cuba). However, airlines and cruise-lines sometimes require their passengers to have passports when flying or cruising to and from locations in these areas.
  • __________________

Old 09-14-2006, 03:56 PM

Sandy and LHT, Thanks for explaining that. I don't have a Passport as I don't need one for my next cruise. But I am going to go ahead and start the process. I believe Jim is going to be right about it getting backed up.

Thanks again,
    IslandCruz

Closed Thread