Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 AM
After coming back from my first cruise (I have been on two so far and I am hooked). I thought of a new idea for a shore excursion. Let me know what you think.

But first, let me give you some background. When I was exiting my ship at the dock in Nassau (Prince George Wharf), I was chatting among my fellow passengers as we were being led out of the dock on to our shore excursions. There were at least two other cruise ships also docked there. These giants of the sea were impossible to ignore. So, the topic of our conversations were comparisons between our ship and the other two. We all were wondering what it would have been like to cruise on one of the other ships. So, when I got back, this thought occured to me.
Like I said, tell me what you think:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a shore excursion, that would consist of a guided tour aboard a neighboring cruise ship?

I don't know exactly the logistics involved but I would imagine it might go like this:

- You will sign up for the shore excursion ahead of time, not knowing exactly what cruise ship you will be given a guided tour of. This would be due to the variable and sometimes unpredictable nature of scheduling and changes in cruise ship itenerary

- In port, you would be guided to the neighboring cruise ship and undergo security screening (just as the passengers on that ship and your ship undergo).

- You will then be greeted by the Cruise Director and/or his staff (of that neighboring cruise ship) who will then give you a guided tour of their ship.

- Of course, this would serve as an opporitunity for that neighboring cruiseship to entice you to take a future cruise aboard that ship. I suppose there would be the necessary reservations staff on hand to handle any of the passengers that were sold on taking a future cruise onboard. I would not even mind all the sales pitches, so long as I get the chance to go aboard at least two cruise ships during my cruise.

- An added bonus would the offering a lunch for these neighboring cruiseship passengers at the end of the tour. Perhaps served in one of the dinning rooms or pool deck cafeteria. Perhaps even during the sales enticement/pitch process.

So... Tell me what you think.

When I got back from my first cruise, I did write all this to the cruiseline I cruised on. I don't know if I can mention it's name, but it has a logo that has both an anchor and a crown. A couple weeks later they wrote me back. They said they appreciated feedback from passengers like me, and apreciated any ideas or suggetions. However, they thought the security needed for such a shore excursion might be too complicated, so they didn't think it was feasable.

So tell me what you think. Could it be possible for the cruiseline to do such a shore excursion? Would you book a shore excursion like that if they offered it? I be waiting to hear your replies. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM

Hi,
I think I would sign-up for such a tour. I've never been on a Princess ship and I'm thinging about booking one. If I could get a "sneak preview" it would sure help my decision. As far as security goes, how about this idea...
an agent from another cruise line met with a small group on your ship. Then an agent from both ships would leave with the group for the tour. Both cruise lines could pre-arrange the tours. How secure is that?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:12 AM

It sounds great, but I bet since 9/11 something like this would not be allowed. Unfortunately our world has had to change to try to protect innocent people from idiots. I'm sure it could be worked out with security, but I don't know if the cruise lines could cover the cost (whether it would turn a profit for them). It would be a fantastic marketing tool, but until jihad or whatever terrorists are calling their missions are over, I doubt it would work. Guess we'll just have to book cruises on all the ships!! Dang, I'll have to hit the lottery first.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:36 AM

It would have to be a tour arranged by an independent operator, as I'm certain Princess, for example, would not want you touring and possibly booking a Celebrity cruise ship, etc.

The main consideration is security. The security teams have their hands full with the comings and goings of their own passengers when in port, and I don't know if they want dozens of new people passing through their system.

As a travel agent, it used to be, before the Achille Lauro tragedy, that you could walk up to any ship in port when you're there, and ask if you can go aboard and take a tour. Times have changed!

Sandy
Old 04-26-2006, 07:30 PM

I think it's an awesome idea. Count me in!! I've never cruised princess or disney and would love a sneak peek.
My initial response was what Sandy already referred to...it's convincing another cruise line to pre-arranging cruise tours on competitor boats?
I also understand the security aspect, but I think that could be worked out (I'd hope)
Good Idea!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 PM

I don't see it happening. Hard enough to arrange group visits to ships for travel agents, what with the increased security, and I am really sure no cruise line would organize a visit to a competitor's ship!

Fun to dream, though.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:31 PM

I'm sure the cruise companies wouldn't want their passengers to tour competing company ships, but Carnival owns so many lines: Princess, Holland America, Costa, etc... that it would be a great way for them to cross promote their sister ships. HEY CARNIVAL, ANYONE WANT TO RUN WITH THIS IDEA?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:56 AM

I think it is a great idea, I would go for sure!! The only real negative thought I had was, how would the people on the ship feel? If they were looking at having more of a quiet day and decided to stay on the ship, and then are bombarded by guests from other ships, wouldn't you feel kinda ripped off????

Closed Thread

Tags
consist, excursion