Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 04:14 PM

How does this work? I found a website that gives MANY different options to choose from. We are thinking about taking a cruise in September and we were advised to purchase cruise insurance because this is hurricane season.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Depending on which policy you choose insurance can protect you before a cruise if you have to cancel due to medical reasons, death in the family, called for jury duty, and more. The insurance protects you once your vacation starts with cost involved for trip delay, trip interruption, baggage lost, or delayed, medical emergencies while on vacation, medical evacuation, and more. You need to read the policies carefully to see what they cover and the amounts they cover. Without insurance if you canceled your cruise after final payment then you could lose your deposit up to the total cost of the cruise. Depending at what point you cancel.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator

I assume you are referring to InsureMyTrip.

This is a great website where you can compare policies and make an educated decision.

How does it work? You simply select a policy which covers the cost of your cruise, air fare, luggage, medical emergencies, etc., and buy it. There are many caveats though, such as pre-existing illnesses not being covered unless you buy the insurance within X days of booking your cruise. This can be 7 to 14 days depending on the insurer.

I always get insurance, and generally speaking the insurance offered by the cruise lines is not as good - nor as cheap - as you can get from a regular insurance company. I have personal knowledge of many sad stories where people didn't buy insurance and then something happened just days before the cruise and they lost all their money.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Just read about someone that didn't take out insurance on their big trip to Europe. They got sick and had to be hospitalized. The hospital held their passport and wouldn't give it back until the person paid the $28,000 bill. This added more expense in the form of hotels and meals to the traveler after his discharge, while he waited for his family to liquidate funds and wire him the money. In addition; he lost all the money from the unused portion of tour that he had been originally traveling.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Book on e-cruises.com for great low rates and they give your free trip insurance. We have booked with them twice now and will continue to do so in the future. Trip insurance is good for many reasons besides weather. The policy they offer is a comprehensive one.
Good Luck.
TexasTraveler1953
Old 03-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Its a scam, dont insure it.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:30 PM

I had to cancel a Princess cruise in January due to a compression fracture of the spine. You never know what is going to come up. The premiums for Travel Guard insurance, which is what I always book rather than the overpriced insurance the cruiseline sells (and which any travel agent you use can get for you) paid promptly within two weeks after receipt of the required medical and other documentation, even though their forms said to call the 800 number in four weeks if I heard nothing! I would recommend Travel Guard, as I think the website that shows them all is confusing, and Travel Guard is low priced and reliable.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 AM

I agree about getting insurance for all trips, and agree about Travel Guard. I had clients who had to cancel their 2 week South America cruise about 2 days before departure, because one of them got the flu. Travel guard pays promptly with proper documentation. My clients have never had a problem with them.

Be sure to compare policies from different companies accurately. Are you insured against cancellation before the cruise, or does the coverage extend while you're cruising. What are the coverage limits for, say, medical transportation, missed connections, baggage delay or baggage loss? If you pay for the insurance within 2 weeks, are you then covered for pre-existing medical conditions as well?

Sandy
Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 AM

I always take the insurance due to older family members and just because it make good sense when one is spending so much money for the package. The only thing I find daunting is reading the pamphlet and trying to fully comprehend it..and to boot, I was a banker in my former life and talk about paperwork there!

I still wouldn't be without it. Our travel agent recommended we take it with a company and not thru RCI.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cancel, compression, cruise, fracture, insurance, vacation