Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 AM

I just returned from our 1st cruise (Enchantment) and I am anxious to get out there again. My question is whether or not to book it on-line again via RCCL web-site, or to use a travel agent?

I've heard that travel agent's can assist with upgrades, discounts etc. When I booked on-line the last time, we never received any information regarding upgrades, discounts, change in prices etc.

Any advice. We are looking for something in 06', and want to get started paying (we need a payment plan - 2 kiddies).
Old 10-06-2004, 05:44 AM

I just returned from our 1st cruise (Enchantment) and I am anxious to get out there again. My question is whether or not to book it on-line again via RCCL web-site, or to use a travel agent?

I've heard that travel agent's can assist with upgrades, discounts etc. When I booked on-line the last time, we never received any information regarding upgrades, discounts, change in prices etc.

Any advice. We are looking for something in 06', and want to get started paying (we need a payment plan - 2 kiddies).
Old 10-06-2004, 10:17 AM

In my opinion, you can't beat a good travel agent. I would try to find one that specializes in the line you wish to travel, with experience with the various iteneraries. Again, in my opinion, it doesn't have to be a "brick and mortar" type of agency. There are many internet trvel agencies that can also be reached by phone, and that provide good service to their clients.

I don't think there is any substitute for doing your own research. You can visit a couple of local travel agencies near you, and ask for the current brochures for lines you are interested in. Narrow it down, and do as much research as you can online. Many cruiseline websites will have travel agents listed. These agencies are likely to be those that do a lot of business with the line, and are therefore more knowledgable than some others.

The cruiselines have begun to crack down on agencies discounting the actual cruise prices. However, sometimes an agency can get you shipboard credits that you would never receive from booking directly with the line.

In my recent experience with the cruise I am taking in December on a luxury line, the price for the cabin was not discounted. This is because the cruise itself was already a 2-for-1, or discounted 50%. However, the agent has provided me with a $125 shipboard credit due to using VISA for the payment (a promotion offered by VISA), and $100 of her own. I just think there are more opportunities for credits and upgrades if you deal with a reputable agent that does a lot of business with the line.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Banned

I have used both and got good results from both. I had a deal on hold from the cruise line and then called my TA that I found on line and booked cruises from. He called me back and told me to take the deal from the cruise line. He said he felt bad about not being able to help me but he appreciated the opportunity. Our next cruise is booked thru him because the cruise line was the same price. I also like his service, help and advice so I want to keep him in business.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 AM

Thanks.

Rigid, I live in the Metro Detroit area. Could you please forward that agent's contact info to me at rspann@decunet.org.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Banned

I have also found it helful to check the cruises on Expedia or Travelocity first and then contact the TA or cruiseline. Either will give you a starting point and information about the cruise. They also show you the available rooms , layout, and location.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:21 AM

we have booked three cruises through an online site called www.vacationstogo.com they are very helpful and lower priced then any others i found online. They also have a link called the 90 day ticker where you can compare all the available cruises and watch the prices drop. Two years ago we booked a cruise 3 weeks before we left and payed less then $300 a person for an aloha level room on the princess. They even leave a bottle of wine in our room for being a returning customer.

Closed Thread

Tags
agent, cruise, line, travel