Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > General Cruise Chat Questions > General Cruise Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 12:15 PM

My husband wants to go scuba diving on our next cruise. He plans to bring his 'personal items' such as mask, snorkel, fins and boots......my question is, is this common for people to bring their own or do the excursions provide stuff like that?
Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 PM

Perfectly normal, both my hubby and I bring our masks, tubes, and snorkel vests. My husband brings his fins, I just use what is on the excursion, they're such a pain to lug around. The excursions provide gear, but it's nice to have your own equipment, if you have room to pack it. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM

Yup, we bring all our own snorkeling gear (for our family of 4). But we have only done that for the cruises we drive to. I might think twice about lugging it along on an airplane. The excursions will provide gear.

Same goes for the golf equipement. I'd like to go golfing, but I don't want the hassle of bringing my clubs. They will "rent them" to you, and some of the excursions, golf equipment is included in the price. I don't like to play with unfamiliar equipement so I haven't tried that yet.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Hi Mandi,
A lot depends on how serious you are about the sport. I have very large feet, my wife has very small feet so we carry our fins and booties. If you have a very large or small face, prescription lens or any other special needs you might want to carry your own mask as well.
The snorkel is mandatory. For one reason it goes in your mouth.
Two I don't trust the disinfectant the dive operators use.
Thirdly, once you get used a particular size snorkel it is very hard to get use to a different one.
Many dive operators require you to wear a vest while on their boat. If you are not of normal size you may want to consider bringing your own, otherwise I would use the dive operators vest.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:26 AM

For scuba diving one needs more than a snorkel. In fact, most divers today do not use a snorkel.

I can not imaging traveling to dive and not bringing my own BC, regulator, etc. Yes, divers do bring their own gear on cruises.

Also, it is much more cost effective to book your diving directly with the dive operator. The cruise ships often charge a 100% mark up - so I hear. I know the cruise ships claim that they will not wait for you if you are delayed unless you book through the cruise line. An experienced diver knows that delays are unlikely.

Bring your own gear. Also, if your husband is an active diver he is probably aware that dive operators treat cruise ship folks differently - they assume that you are a rookie and impose all of the restrictions of a beginner. The dive sites that are available to the cruise ship crowd are most often limited to beginner's sites (a liability issue since, in fact, cruise passengers tend to be much less experienced - I will personally attest to this!) The destinations of the cruise ships inherantly are not the best dive locations anyway due to the tourism infrastructure destroying the reefs.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 AM

PS - as a cruise ship diver expect to be placed on, what we call, cattle boats. There may be 50-80 divers on a boat all dumped in the ocean at the same time. Don't expect to be able to get on the 6-pack boats - being a cruise ship passeneger, the dive op will not trust you unless you have an established relationship with them.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonG:
PS - as a cruise ship diver expect to be placed on, what we call, cattle boats. There may be 50-80 divers on a boat all dumped in the ocean at the same time. Don't expect to be able to get on the 6-pack boats - being a cruise ship passeneger, the dive op will not trust you unless you have an established relationship with them.
Jason, Thanks for all the info. My hubby is a rookie, as he is just working on his PADI now. So any kind of diving experience will be enjoyable to him. The gear I listed is what he is required to purchase for the class. He will not be diving often enough to purchase everything else.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 AM

Hi Mandi,

I am glad to hear that he has made the decision to get a certification before traveling. Many folks make the mistake of taking resort courses.

Obviously getting some experience is better than none. As I said, unfortunately most of the cruise ship destinations are not really the best dive locations due to the poor reef conditions. Even if there is decent diving in the locale, cruise ship passengers will almost never get there as the dive operators actually triage cruisers differently. After having the good fortune of diving many of the pristine reefs and oceans of the world, most of the locations which a cruise ship diver will see would make me cry. The coral is broken up, bleeched or dead - the marine life sparce - many people see a few pretty fish and think that's what diving is all about.

If your husband wants to experience good diving, he will have to look elsewhere in a different venue. In many respects, froom a selfish standpoint I am grateful that few people really take up diving - I would hate to see the cruise ship mobs all over my reefs. On the other hand, those who (Pay And Dive Instantly) and hang out with 80 people on a barren reef come to think that there is really nothing out there anyway - whats wrong with building another cruise ship terminal.

J
Old 09-27-2006, 09:40 AM

Lastly, be smart...don't let him do his checkout dives while on the cruise ship. This is a BIG BIG waste of money. While I hate the quarry too...it is not that bad.

Spend the cash on something else...don't pay to be spiffed.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonG:
Lastly, be smart...don't let him do his checkout dives while on the cruise ship. This is a BIG BIG waste of money. While I hate the quarry too...it is not that bad.

Spend the cash on something else...don't pay to be spiffed.
He plans to get everything taken care of before our cruise in December. I appreciate all the advice; where would you recommend we vacation for him to get in some good diving? And of course good beaches since I don't dive.

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, bringing, carnival, carry, cruise, cruse, diving, equipment, gear, money, reviews, scuba, ship, skhip, waste